“No returns due to parts swappers”

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W0FK, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0FK

W0FK Ham Member QRZ Page

I shake my head every time I see this one in an ad. Really? Where are the legions of parts swappers? Or even one? I’ve been buying and selling via printed ads (remember the “Yellow Sheets”?) and online for years, and I’ve only had one or two bad deals over the last 50+ years. Those were due to false claims or omissions of serious issues by the seller. I have never seen or heard of this “rampant parts swapping issue” until recently. Does it even exist, or is it “urban legend”? Is it just something someone threw in an ad once and it’s gotten it’s own traction?

And what returns of sold gear? How often does that even come up? Unless the seller permits it, it’s not going to happen. In the rare instance where a buyer demands a return, shouldn't the seller do his/her homework before saying ok? Isn’t this really a seller’s “as is, where is” policy and “I don’t trust you but you have to trust me to sell you something that really works with all proper and working parts” statement? Telling a buyer that gear being sold “works as it should” and is “mint” and then stiff arming a buyer from addressing an issue with the gear because of “parts swappers” seems quite disingenuous to me.

Rant over, back to regularly scheduled buying and selling.

Lou, W0FK

N5NOQ, N9TSL, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for an anvil to be listed with "no returns due to part swappers."

Simple solution, I won't deal with sellers that start off assuming I am a thief and they are the only trustworthy party.

Either that, or the price needs to reflect the terms.

N8ERM, WZ7U and N9TSL like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The parts swapping thing is a real issue. Although not wide spread, it does exist. Some reports of it here on QRZ just in the last couple of months. The person gets your product, removes or swaps parts, then returns damaged product to you. In some instances, it is not even the same unit, IOW, they sent you their badly damaged unit for your working one.

Paypal usually will side with the buyer. If you got "your" product back, they refund the seller. No way to prove otherwise, really.

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Guy "bought" my tube receiver - used Paypal - he got the receiver, stripped out all the tubes, then complained to Paypal that he got a receiver that had no tubes in it (he even sent them photos to "prove" it!) - he got a 100% nearly-instant refund. I was given the option to just let him keep the "defective item" or pay to ship it back. Not wanting to give him the satisfaction, I paid to ship it back.

THAT is what a "parts swapper" is.

Just because it's not raining in your backyard doesn't mean it doesn't rain elsewhere

Dave
    W7UUU

K2EJ, KN4SKF, KLONDIKEMIKE and 7 others like this.
  5. W0FK

W0FK Ham Member QRZ Page

Putting in “no returns due to parts swappers” won’t save you from the PayPal claims process. If the buyer claims receipt of goods that are missing parts or has bad parts, they can file a claim. There’s a process where the seller can file a response but a refund is not nearly instantaneous. You first have to engage in a good faith effort to resolve the issue and if a claim is initiated you have time to respond and supply evidence to counter the claim. If you miss deadlines you’re going to lose. There’s also an appeals process after a claim decision is reached and although PayPal’s policy seems to limit the basis for an appeal, it doesn't appear to be quite so narrow.

See https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/resolve-disputes

Nothing is iron clad, but if you accept PayPal consider taking a video of “whatever you’re selling” to show it works and pics of the interior and of the reassembly and you boxing it. If you suspect the buyer of parts swapping, file a police report and supply it to PayPal as part of the claims process. Consider advertising that “whatever you’re selling” works but saying something like “like all used goods, no warranty express or implied is offered.” That may help you with PayPal but YMMV.

The only way to avoid the PayPal buyers protection policy is to not use PayPal at all, or avoid goods (which violates PayPal’s rules and is NOT suggested).

It’s unfortunate that there are unscrupulous buyers and sellers out there.

73, Lou, W0FK

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I see an ad that does not interest me because:
    Parts swappers
    Price
    In excellent condition when the photos clearly show otherwise
    Other reasons
    Figure I have two choices:
    1. Whine about it.
    2. Move on.
    I prefer choice #2.

Others are free to do as they please.

W5PFG, KA2FIR, KF5FEI and 1 other person like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Exactly the reason I just don't take Paypal except on eBay where 100% of what I sell is listed as "for parts or not working" (even if it's brand new in the box!) which under eBay rules DOES prevent scammer chargebacks.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do the same. (#2)

I avoid radios that are in mint condition also. I only buy coins that are in mint condition.

No returns due to parts swappers can mean that you get your money back and get to keep the radio. o_O

It also says you may be a thieve. :eek:

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

And likewise, just because it rained in your backyard, doesn't mean it rains in every (or even some) other backyard(s).

However, while personal accounts of buyer malfeasance can be found, there don't seem to be accounts of mutually agreeable deals. Like an auto wreck, a bad deal gets attention. In the news business, there's an old fable, "If it bleeds, it leads." IOW, good news either isn't reported or, it's at the end.

K3XR likes this.
  10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Local news jock once told me "fear sells soap". Quite the business model.
    Successful politician once told me " If I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollypops when no one is looking. It's all about what gets me elected and keeps me out of jail.
    It's sad , real and proven time in memorial.
    Give a thief an angle and it 's a done deal.
    ...and so it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.