“MARS Modified”

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jul 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

You've got me grinnin'. During the height of the CB craze circa 1980, a friend of mine ran an electronics shop near here. He had built a number of AM transmitters capable of operating all bands. A licensed Amateur, he was pretty well known in the AM community.
    One afternoon, while at his shop, we were listening to the clutter on CB 19. There's always somebody who thinks he's the biggest, baddest CBer on earth. Nobody, but NO body could key him out. THAT was too much temptation! One of the modified transmitters came out of a broadcast station and boasted about 5000 watts. My friend had always run it at legal amateur limit (usually 40 Meters), figuring that the tubes were just coastin'. This time was different and he couldn't resist. During the rant by the BIG CBers, he tuned it up to the full 5ooo watts on channel 19, and while the guy was boasting about how he could walk over all any and all takers, CLANK!

There was a slight hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm for a few moments, then we unkeyed. Where there had been the usual chaos of the chicken band, there was utter silence. Then a timid soul ventured, "What in the world was THAT?"

And the both of US just rolled in the floor laughing while the Big, Bad CBer endured a round of ribbing about how somebody DID key him OUT!:p:D:D:D

Yes, yes, yes, I know, I know--it's illegal. Tell me any of us haven't succumbed to a spot of mischief now and them.:p

KC8YLT and W1TRY like this.