“MARS Modified”

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jul 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

My reply pertained to the original post, not you. I never modded a rig for use as a cb but did mod a few when I was a MARS trainee and to open older rigs for 60m.

2. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRT and standing by

3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever try to transvert all of 6 meters?
    Thought not...

Ed

KC8VWM, W1TRY and WD4IGX like this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

5. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or maybe he's just got a thing for trucks or truckers?

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct Ed,

Many transverters require a 26-30 MHz signal to cover the entire 6m or 2m bands.

NL7W, N8VIL, W1TRY and 2 others like this.
  7. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant the one in Texas but I have been to that one.

8. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how we learn!

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IGX:

When I was in high school, I used to help out at K9BPV's television repair shop. He charged a fixed labor rate, plus parts, to repair radio receivers. Dave hired me to fix those receivers which were mostly of the "All American Five" AC/DC receivers. This was in the 1959 to 1962 time frame. I believe that he charged a flat $3.00 labor fee and gave me $2.00 and kept $1.00 as a profit plus what he made on the tubes and parts.

Most of the repair involved replacing a tube with a burnt out heater (filament). Since the heaters were in series, when one burned out none of them would light. Most repairs were done in under 15-minutes and that resulted in a pay rate of $8.00 to $10.00 per hour which was definitely above average for anyone let alone a teenager!

Every so often, someone would bring in a radio and say that he / she tried to get it working by tightening all of the "loose screws"! That was the clue that the radio was definitely going to need a full alignment!

Glen, K9STH

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Buwahahahahahaaa!!

Even before I knew anything about radio that would have just never occurred to me. It wasn't the radio that had a screw loose!