“MARS Modified”

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jul 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that'll cost ya!
    -Beep

2. WA3JPY

WA3JPY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not that it makes a good gosh darn, but I recently heard a ham who was bragging about operating his modified HF rig on CB radio, and the "Free Band". What is interesting to me is that he said it in public and inferred to other hams "screw it if you don't like what I do" AND was trying to convince others that it was a good way to test for 10 meter propagation, telling them to: "Meet me on .385". That's 27.385. With the easy tests now-a-days, with published answers, many people have gotten their ham ticket, and have gone right back to CB radio and are PROUD OF IT. The ARRL was part and parcel to this process, and now I hear they are going to be the FCC's Rent-a-Cop and are going to be involved in the enforcement process. I wonder how that will impact membership? In any case, back to the point at hand, I have been involved with Military Aviation for about 48 years. The aircraft I work with have HF radios, and I have often talked to them on military frequencies with permission by the way, using modified ham gear. Sure beat the TRC-75 back in the day. Mark/WA3JPY

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard that the "Geico" Gecko's mother was a "Lot Lizard" :eek:

[​IMG]
    :p

AC8UN, KP4SX and KC8VWM like this.
  4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice guy and I respect your opinion, but name calling tends to undermine your position. I have performed this modification in the past for no other reason than see if I could do it. It's possible that I am an idiot, but I'll leave that to my wife to make the final determination, not you.

WQ4G, N6PJB, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well there you go. *My* no-go is that "turns out but I don't have any way to test it" or "I don't know anything about this..." If you're selling it online, and that's true, find someone who DOES. Otherwise, I pass.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn’t know you used to live in Butler County (PA).

7. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

DON'T BE MY NANNY.

[​IMG]

WD4IGX and N6PJB like this.
  8. WD4IGX

Too many busybody do-gooders everywhere.

KC8YLT and N8VIL like this.
  9. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Rule of the golden screwdriver:
    If snipping one resistor is good than cutting out five of them must be the cat's meow.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

Reminds me of when I was staring in radio and would tinker with any radio. A cousin brought me a little transistor radio he had (remember those?) that didn't work. Said it quit and he "tightened everything down real good" and it didn't help it.

Yeah, "tightening down real good" those adjustable coils was NOT a good idea. I had to stop myself from laughing at the time.

KC8YLT likes this.