“MARS Modified”

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jul 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because it was a simple mod.

And the Tempo One. It came with empty crystal sockets. Plug and play.

KY5U likes this.
  2. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

If my rig gets a MARS mod, does my wife's rig get a VENUS mod?

LU1WNI, K4PIH, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Right! As always, FCC Rules are about actual use outside one's privileges, not about what equipment you have on your shelf, or shack.

Pre-NTIA, I used to modify my amateur rigs for CAP--all perfectly legal at the time. After 2008, that window began to close as CAP's communications became more closely aligned with USAF and coming under USAF frequency management. The same equipment I used on CAP frequencies STILL would operate on those frequencies, and unless someone "snitched", ya prolly couldn't tell should I transmit on them. The fact that I have these radios with said capabilities matters not. What matter is the actual use of them in violation of NTIA/CAP regulations (intent and commission of an illegal act) On VHF, it doesn't matter (if you don't mind) because the VHF standards are soooo tight that if you DO key up a repeater, the transmitter is so broad , it is unintelligible. Now I operate on amateur and CAP a Harris RF 3200 which is fully NTIA compliant. The Icom(s) are semi-retired, active only on the ham bands.

4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Would that be an "inter-Venus" transfusion")?:D:rolleyes: Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck:rolleyes:o_O

W1TRY likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

During the 1960s and into the 1970s, here in Richardson, Texas, at the "new" headquarters of Collins Radio Company, LPY (log periodic Yagi) antennas, and other antenna designs, were being developed and then manufactured for the U.S. military. Those antennas covered 3 MHz to 30 MHz and were capable of handling at least 20 kW of r.f. power.

To test these antennas, the Collins technicians were authorized to use ANY frequency within the frequency coverage running at least 20 kW. The usual test setup was a KWM-2A driving a 308-U20 amplifier at 20,000-watts output. With antenna gain, the signal could be up to around 200,000-watts effective radiated power.

One of the technicians' favorite frequency (they were also, usually, amateur radio operators) was "CB" channel 19! The technicians would make a test transmission on the frequency and then wait. The frequency would be silent for a few moments and then some "CBer" would say something like "what was that!" For the next minute, or so, channel 19 would be bedlam. Then, the Collins technicians would make another test transmission to stir the pot. After a few more transmission, the technicians would go to another frequency to continue the testing of the antenna.

Of course, channel 19 was chosen because it was a very popular "CB" channel and the technicians were wanting to cause havoc. However, since the technicians were authorized to transmit on any frequency to test the antennas, this was perfectly legal!

Glen, K9STH

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    VE3TMT, KF5RRF, SA6CKE and 3 others like this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that. Thought you could sneak it in... But I saw it..

WZ7U likes this.
  7. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this mean it covers "Charlies Band" ?

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[never mind my rant, got some coffee before the edit window expired. ;) ]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh sure people cliamed to be MARS members or of all things opening the old rig for 60 meters...rofl! Oh brother, luckily the OP here called them out. Closet "Good Buddies"!!!

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Awww :(