“MARS Modified”

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jul 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever use a VHF transverter on an HF rig before?

I haven't heard any signals resembling smokey the bandit running any moonshine on the VHF bands yet.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    KA4DPO, AC8UN, SA6CKE and 1 other person like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably never will. Thats what cell phones are for

AC8UN and W4IOA like this.
  3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not fair making a valid point. Spoiler.

KA4DPO, WD4IGX, KC8VWM and 2 others like this.
  4. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not anymore - if you use a phone there will be verifiable records of your communications. Using PMR/GMRS low power VHF/UHF or HF devices are harder to track and tie to someone. You need to triangulate them and in a densely populated area it's next to impossible to get it right due to reflections.

With the DMR systems with encrypted communication it's easy to run some simplex communication as well on an established frequency with that kind of traffic too and the primary user of that frequency may not even notice.

WD4IGX and KC8VWM like this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Memorized the test question did ya?

WZ7U likes this.
  6. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I MARS modified my rigs because-- wait for it-- wait for it-- I was in MARS.

W4NNF likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know MARS was using 11 meters.

Can you convert a CB for MARS ?

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How dare you try to confuse everybody with FACTS?! :p

WQ4G and KC8VWM like this.
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VWM:

The original holder of K5CYB (Kilowatt Five Check Your Booze) was an ATF agent and his normal partner was also an amateur radio operator. He used to chase moonshiners using 2-meter FM. They had certain code phrases, that sounded like normal chit-chat, which gave information about the moonshiners, where to meet his partner for a "bust", and so forth.

The reason for 2-meters was that the ATF frequencies were known to the moonshiners as well as local law enforcement frequencies. The "bad guys" monitored those frequencies and, when something was heard on, especially, an ATF frequency, they knew agents were near and then they would shut down their operations, etc. By using 2-meters, the moonshiners had no idea that they were being watched, going to be raided, etc.

Of course, using code phrases is a direct violation of 47 CFR Part 97. However, no FCC engineer was going to issue any citations to an ATF agent.

Glen, K9STH

KF5RRF, WA8FOZ, SA6CKE and 3 others like this.
  10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Please explain how MARS modification will make a VHF or UHF radio work on 27 MHz.

SA6CKE likes this.