“Hard-to-see-guy-wire”

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NI2M, Mar 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to work at a manned TV transmitter site, right in the middle of a farmer's paddock.
    In the part which was used by us, we had the fairly substantial Tx buildings, & a 400ft plus guyed lattice mast, with guys extending out into the farm proper.

One warm, drowsy day, having worked through a list of routine maintenance items, I was just about to take a break, when I heard a loud engine sound.
    I knew the farmer had recently bought a spectacular new tractor, & assumed it was him coming to "show it off " to us.
    I put the kettle on, & waited awhile, but he didn't show, so I strolled out the front.

There, happily weaving his way between the guy wires, was a cropduster!
    As I watched, this "intrepid aviator" encroached closer & closer to the mast.

Just as I was doing a mental inventory of which was the most solid part of the building in which to grovel in terror, he lost interest in his game & flew away to another part of the farm.

Telling this story to a colleague, he told me of several "near misses" some years before, when the mast was first being commissioned.
    The aviation authorities had been notified of the existence of the new mast, but apparently it hadn't trickled through to the Air Force, who ran a fairly substanial flight training centre a few hundred miles away.

He was up the mast one day, when a two seater De Havilland Vampire appeared out of nowhere, practicing low flying.

At the last moment, the Pilot noticed the mast, banked sharply & flew under one of the outer guy wires.----below where my colleague was!
    Not a view of an aircraft you often get, or want to get!

On another occasion another RAAF plane, this time a hulking great DC4, came galumphing over the horizon, then flared off sharply to avoid the top of the mast.
    The Air Force really seemed to love low flying!

Totally off topic, but this farmer was an interesting character.
    Amongst other eccentricities, he ran "free range" pigs.
    From a distance, I had thought they were really funny looking sheep!

2. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops on line for 120# test fishing line.

If you guy out 60% of the height, that will be a 30-degree angle so put red or yellow heat-shrink tubing on the bottom 10-12 Ft of the guy and you should be able to see it before you tangle with the guy.

NI2M and WB5YUZ like this.
  3. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Visible guy lines.....a good idea!

And I found that have to put plastic tubing (water pipe or whatever) on the first couple of feet of my guy ropes as they were constantly being chewed through by foxes!
    The pipe takes the fun out of it for them and they leave them alone now.
    Had to take a fox to the vet after it became snagged in wire that someone years ago had used in the garden. A shot of antibiotic and all was OK.

Loads of foxes here in London. They yell at each other all night in Cockney accents. (Better than Dick Van Dyke's!)

4. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just Javelinas and Coyotes in my neck-o-the-woods.

2E0CIT likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! I saw that just the other day on the Andy Griffith show! Aunt B want to string up a piano wire in response to Barney getting a police motorcycle. "Aunt B!!!!"

6. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use white ribbons tied at knee and groin and eye level on each wire. They are about 1 foot long, and so are very easy to see when running and mowing. I have enough light to where they are visible at night.

Tom

7. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Javelinas...never even knew they existed until your reply Stephen! Just watched some interesting Y Tube clips of them. Thanks for the education! 73 Jeff