“Hard-to-see-guy-wire”

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NI2M, Mar 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. G6YYN

G6YYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t know if it’s readily available where you live, but I use Mastrant P guy rope. It’s available from Amateur Radio stores and comes in a variety of diameter, breaking strains and is dark in colour.

2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The town building inspector requested I use them when I applied for a tower permit. He didn't care one iota about engineering specs. Wanted the coax
    and control wires buried below the frost line, and suggested the yellow sleeves. Fortunately we had abandoned our pole lines at work, and had tons of
    them that were being discarded... but the tower is still standing, and survived two mico bursts that took down large oaks on my property last year.

VK6ZGO likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Airplanes hit hard to see guy wires around here. :oops:

It hurts to run into one also.

It is best to hide the RFI and not the antenna. o_O

4. NI2M

NI2M Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for your suggestions. These guy line will be set up in a way that makes it almost impossible to run into them unless one is about 7 feet tall.

JJ

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't invite any NBA Centers to a yard party.:)

WB5YUZ and W1BR like this.
  6. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If a plane flies into a rope supporting a 40 foot Fiberglas mast there are other issues at play.

Regardless, no tower lighting? Or was this a crop duster jockey?

WQ4G likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Yes it is. Especially for those of us who may not see quite as well as others.

VK6ZGO likes this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a local crop duster who was something. He used to fly under the power lines out here, within 200 ft. of my house, doing two hundred percent of his stall speed or so (safety first!). These lines are on 30-odd foot poles. One day I took video of him doing it and he never did it again, at least not near my house.

A few years later, this same guy, after they grounded all flights, especially crop dusters, in the follow-up of 9/11, decided that the FAA couldn't tell him when he could fly and when he couldn't, and he "practiced" touch-and-goes. His was the only plane in the air! Some branch or other of Federal law enforcement with guns and badges made it out here (I live near the airport) in about forty-five minutes and met him when he taxied in.

Don't know if he still flies or not, but he doesn't crop dust around here anymore.

9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the newer type braided fishing line? I use this stuff and its incredibly strong for its diameter. You can get it up to 300 Lb test.

10. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

iPad strikes again!:oops: