ad: vanity

“Hard-to-see-guy-wire”

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NI2M, Mar 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. NI2M

NI2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for guy wire that is very difficult to see. This would be used to guy off a 40 foot fiberglass pole. I already have guys in place, but the top-most guys aren’t high enough on the pole. The additional guying I am looking for will be at a height of about 23 feet.

The “mast” to which the pole is attached is also guyed. The pole has only a 33’ run of AWG#14 (PE coated) stranded copper on it so we’re not talking about a lot of weight. At any rate, no matter what, the pole is (supposed to) going sway a bit, but I just want it to not sway too much. The pole is well constructed, with thick walls.

Any suggestions and thoughts?

JJ

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why use wire? Especially if the mast is supporting a wire antenna, you'd be better off using lightweight rope.

3/32" double-braided Dacron (sold by many ham dealers, it's almost all made by Synthetic Textiles) is very strong, black, and darned close to invisible.

KA9JLM, WB5YUZ, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Small diameter Dacron Cord? Choose a color to blend in with the background.

Dan WQ4G

W1BR and KK4NSF like this.
  4. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as it isn't too invisible if it extends down to groind level.
    It is surprisingly easy to walk into even "non-invisible" guy wires.

Still, I guess at "human level", you could run it through plastic conduit, or something similar to make it more visible.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  5. WA6SW

WA6SW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate things that come at me at groin level.

VK6ZGO, WQ4G, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have those yellow sleeves that utility companies use on my guys near ground level

WB5YUZ and W1BR like this.
  7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For a fiberglass mast 550 paracord (which comes in multiple colors) should do it

WQ4G and W1TRY like this.
  8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep.... I'd go with olive paracord. BUT the colo is dependent on your surrounding colorscape. If you are in the desert, maybe tan is better.

You COULD use heavy fishing line in the 150lb range, but I'd recommend against it. (ref the groin level note above)

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful what you ask for. Hard to see guy wires is a good way to get clothes lined or decapitated.

10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use paracord too. Easy to use, pretty darn tough and seems to last for years. It's thin enough that it's difficult to see in the first place and you can get colors that will help it to blend in with the background. Damn near invisible. But make darned sure it doesn't extend below about 7 feet so people don't walk into it. Mine goes to either permanently mounted posts or to the roof so its out of the reach of people on the ground

WQ4G likes this.