¿What caused this?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB1E, May 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree.

If there is current flow on the water pipes, there is a ground fault somewhere which needs to be located and corrected. Also, your water heater probably already has a metal connection between the two pipes.

Over 99 percent of water systems have no wire bond between the hot and cold pipes, and it has no effect on the longevity of the water heaters.

Edit to add: I have been in 100's of homes and businesses doing electrical work, many service upgrades and what I am saying is from decades of experience.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if plumbing code covers this? Reason I ask is because inspector told me that I had to put a bond wire between hot and cold at the water heater. Wonder if that alludes to what JLM mentioned... reducing electrolysis and early failure of the wh?

While he was there he also made sure that my hot water baseboard heating system was also bonded to the water system.

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. K8MHZ

I would like to know what code the inspector was citing. It could have been a local code, or he could have been making things up. We have never been required to bond water pipes together, and in one instance we had to remove a bond wire due to a code violation (parallel wiring deal). The inspector that made me pull the wire showed me the section in the code book and pointed out where the erroneous wiring was. He was super sharp, and an Extra as well. He has worked with me on some very tricky code issues.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, It is a requirement in many states. Just like a strap around it, So it can not fall over.

Some require a expansion tank too.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a extra means you may be a book worm, Not that you necessarily know more than others, In a real world.

Why is a extra any better than a technician or general class ?

I am proud to be a know coder. :rolleyes:

6. K8MHZ

I didn't mean it that way. By 'Extra as well' I meant to say he was also an Extra class ham radio operator like I am. For better or for worse. He is also a Harley rider, and if we were on a motorcycle forum, I probably would have said he was a Harley rider like me.

I wasn't meaning to put anyone down, just illustrating some common ground (pun intended) between us Zedians and the inspector I was referring to.

Now, when you say 'know coder', I know you mean Morse, not NEC. :D

WZ7U, WB1E and KA9JLM like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that even if not extending into the ground, an extensive metal water pipe system in the house needs to be bonded to the electrical ground. Without this, a fault could develop somewhere between the wiring and a pipe, putting hazardous voltage on the water pipes and plumbing fixtures without tripping a breaker.

This is the case in my house where the water service is PVC but changes immediately to all copper inside the house.

8. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not with T pipe connections. They were plumbed together. I could have worded that better. Sorry for confusion.

9. K8MHZ

IF the metal water pipe is considered 'likely to become energized' you are correct, it must be bonded. That being said, any appliance that puts the water pipe in that predicament, will have a grounded connection and the metal water pipe will be connected to the ground wire at that point. That is all that is needed.

Remember, the NEC is a minimum set of standards. Unless there is a problem with parallel connectors, bonding the pipes does no harm.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 Mark. Thx for the reply!
    Also take an "atta boy" outta petty cash :)

Who keeps eating all my wire nuts??

~ Doug

Last edited: May 2, 2018