ad: vanity

¿What caused this?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB1E, May 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was true! And those old electric dryers had funky little signs on the terminal boxes referring to local codes. I suspect they were aware that the NEC was evolving.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You have it backwards. The third wire of SE cable allowed to feed three wire 240 volt receptacles is the neutral, which was allowed to be used as both the neutral and the ground. It was only allowed on 240 volt circuits. Never was it allowed for 120 volt receptacles, or cable other than SE. They allowed SE because the neutral encircled the two hot conductors, and there was no NM (Romex) available back then that big. There is still lots of it around and working fine. They feed the three wire 240 volt receptacles.

The terminology is tricky because both ground and neutral attach at the same point in the service panel. The difference is that if the conductor is grounded and meant to carry current under normal operating conditions, it is a neutral. If it is grounded and meant to carry current only under fault conditions, it is a ground.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    WB1E likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There was also a jumper that connected neutral to ground in many of them, Where the pigtail connects.

Now they have to be bonded in the breaker panel.

Grounding to a water pipe is a thing of the past. Everything is plastic now, Including AC outlet boxes.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thus the importance of single point bonding at the service panel!
    I recall back in the old days certain electrical appliances would give you a tingle depending on what you were touching. We had a radio on our kitchen counter that you did not want to touch plumbing fixtures while making dial changes. I don't recall too many appliances that had polarized plugs back in those days either.

K8MHZ likes this.
  5. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I moved into my new house the hot and cold water lines were tied together and two feet way was the inspection tag from the county inspector.

6. K8MHZ

Brand new dryers still come with a jumper. You install the jumper from the neutral terminal to the metal frame if you have a three wire receptacle. You do not connect the jumper if it is a four wire receptacle.

7. K8MHZ

Bonding the hot and cold water lines together is not a code violation.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't they SUPPOSED to be bonded?
    @K3KIC

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. It is not a code violation.

If not done the water heater will not last very long, because of current flow thru the heater.

Water heaters have been known to cause cancer in the state of California. :rolleyes:

KF5RRF likes this.
  10. K8MHZ

There is also no requirement in the NEC to bond them unless they can be considered grounding electrodes. One example would be that the metal hot water pipe went outside and was in contact with at least 10 feet of earth. Most of the time, the two are bonded at the heater through the metal or a fixture right from the manufacturer.