¿What caused this?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB1E, May 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspected an intermittent power source on a piece of equipment. Well nothing is labeled at this place as far as outlets and breakers are concerned. Then I discovered this....just snooping around you know.

I'm 99% sure what caused this, what say you? There is a clue.... no netural.jpg

73 all
    Doug
    N5DMC

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been an electrician for over 20 years and just by looking at the picture, I am curious. Far from 99% sure, other than someone made a huge installation error.

AC1CX likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Lightning, loose wires on the outlet, over-sized breaker, plugged in equipment issue...

4. K8MHZ

Is the house wired in aluminum?

AC1CX likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going with... "fire." :)

Looks like the socket frame got really hot. Perhaps a loose wire connection in the back of the socket? Was it one of those sockets where you just stick the wires in the back, and the socket has friction fingers that hold the wire in?

6. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

The hole drilled above the socket nicked a wire causing a short?

I say this because I almost did this myself while putting up some bookcases.

7. K8MHZ

I have never seen a yoke get that hot with no indication of heat from the socket itself.

As for the 'back stabbed' receptacle, I have seen them melt down, but not where the yoke got hot.

I would perform an autopsy to be sure.

8. K8MHZ

Good possibility.

9. KG5QBI

KG5QBI Subscriber QRZ Page

For part of the picture, a metallic box that is grounded, and no bond wire to the outlet ground screw, so any current passing through ground is going through the mounting screws that only have as much tension on them as thr panneling provides. Then add a load that has failed with a short to ground, or which still adheres to the old bad practice of allowing part of the 220 V load to run 110V to ground, instead of having a correct neutral wire. A window AC unit might run a 220 compressor, and a 110 fan motor, and pass enough current through ground to do this.

Not sure what other load in a shack might intentionally pass load through ground, but they could certainly fail that way.

N0TZU, N2EY and WB1E like this.
  10. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks electrical to me.

N5PZJ likes this.