µBITX FT8 Success

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0VRA, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

And again...

upload_2018-9-14_13-58-56.png

2. W0VRA

And this crazy little dipole is working on 17m (dark blue), 20m (orangish), 30m (green), and 40m (light blue).

upload_2018-10-5_14-0-17.png

3. W0VRA

OK, since then, I've had the 65' OCFD up in the pine trees, and it'll run 12-60m.

But this idea that you can do the DXCC in a weekend using FT8 seems a bit unrealistic.

I've only got about 45 entities on LOTW.

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have the specific goal of DXCC, you're going to have to be very careful when you work which bands. E.g., 40m here in the early evening is an absolute parking lot. There's so much domestic traffic that DX is pretty sparse, even if the band is open to Europe or wherever. That said, later in the evening, those folks all go to bed or to 80m or wherever, and the DX is plentiful, and that continues through the overnight hours.

DX QSO rate is still very much a matter of strategy. DX-friendly antennas are a big part of one's strategy.

DXCC in a weekend is pretty optimistic, though, you are right. With current conditions, it's probably easier if you work the night shift on the radio. :)

5. W0VRA

Hey, thank you very much for your help and encouragement in this adventure!

Check it out, I'm pretty sure all of these were done without the antenna tuner haha! I need to quit being lazy and use the SDRplay spectrum analyzer to see how this antenna actually does.

upload_2019-4-11_20-7-38.png

And it's like a wormhole opens up to South Africa almost every night.

KP4SX and KK5JY like this.
  6. W0VRA

And finally got Russia this morning on 20m.

7. W0VRA

My antenna is a 67' OCFD with 40M in mind. The balun is at 44' 8", roughly. Hard to know how much it's stretched since it's been up. I used a wire from a 100' extension cord that had been damaged by a hedge trimmer. OK, that was the operator's fault, not the hedge trimmer.

The balun is a Guanella, made with FT-240-31 per G3TXQ's instructions. Sad he's SK, seemed like a good man, but his page is still up with a lot of great insights on antennas and so forth.

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/balun-polarity.336049/#post-2481413

http://karinya.net/g3txq/

I connect the rig to the antenna using RG-174.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FYZWGVZ

So today I ran it through the FT8 bands and checked SWR with the MFJ-941E. Who knows how accurate it is, but here are the results.

First column is band in meters, second is SWR. The scale on the meter is not precise.

80 5.0
    60 2.8
    40 1.3
    30 2.5
    20 1.0
    17 2.2
    15 2.5
    12 2.7
    10 1.0

Nine bands on the cheap!

FWIW, I've got entries in the log for 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, and 17.

8. W0VRA

I neglected to clarify that the readings are with the tuner in bypass mode.