µBITX FT8 Success

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0VRA, Aug 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up on that feature. I haven't achieved that level of automation yet.

The FT-8 has the two windows and leaves a space open on the screen. In that space I have my Zed logbook open, zoomed down so I can see a bunch of recent contacts, so I don't answer CQs from the same operator over and over. As soon as I get another contact, I'll copy the call from the FT-8 page and paste it into the Zed page, adjust the time and add the signal reports. I'll probably keep doing that because I like looking up their Zed profiles.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that's one way to do it, but normally the stations you've already worked should appear in green on the monitor pane. I just say that because with WSJT-X running and JT Alert running (if you don't have that yet, get it) screen real-estate is kind at a premium. :)

3. W0VRA

Yeah, I need to look into why that's not happening. Probably an option I don't have checked off.

I'll have to look into that, too.

Thanks!

4. W4NNF

It has a bunch of good features. When I got started with FT8 shortly after its release, I had to keep a list of grid-squares handy to know the QTH of the station I was working or seeing. JT Alert has a window displaying station locations and other information--and it does quite a bit more as well. :)

5. W0VRA

I see it makes sounds when certain things happen.

Does it know not to transmit the sounds it's making for notifications? (I'm sure it does, but I gotta ask.)

6. W4NNF

No...if you want to enable the sounds, either get a second soundcard OR an interface with a built in soundcard. If you only have one sound card, no matter what the program "knows"...it only has one place to send its output. In your current setup, if you enable the voice/sounds...people on the air will be listening to you broadcast "Hawaii! Idaho!" ;)

7. W0VRA

Haha, I'm glad I asked!

8. W4NNF

A while back, somebody did that for HOURS on 40! :eek:

9. W0VRA

Haha, I never have the sound on, so I don't know.

But I'll try to be considerate and not make that mistake!

10. W0VRA

See? 30 M goes east, 20 M goes west.

upload_2018-9-12_11-14-46.png