§97.113 Clarification

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ4CYM, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4CYM

KJ4CYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to figure out wether it will be legal to listen to a rebroadcast of the NASA Mission Audio for the upcoming launch. A comms-only (not NASA TV) feed is currently on the IRLP Discovery Reflector, Channel 9017. Looking at Part 97 again, it states:

The prior approval part is what I'm confused about. Does NASA give a blanket approval, or do I need to seek it on a case-by-case basis?

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen to any thing you want to.

its 'retransmission' that you need to know the rules...

3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Legal to LISTEN ? :confused:

Jeez !

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to me that if you are listening, then someone ELSE is rebroadcasting it, not you.
    I am not real familiar with IRLP but I am assuming that it is being sent out over the ham frequencies and that is how you will be listening to it.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anthony --

Listening is not an issue.
    Now if you were going to rebroadcast, that is a different issue. See FAQ and Answers below.
    http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/retransmission/shuttle_faq.html

Shuttle Retransmission Fact Sheet and FAQ
    by Jim Blackwell, N3KWU (last udpated 1998)

Can I Retransmit Communications Between The Space Shuttle And Mission Control On Amateur Frequencies?
    The FCC rules indicate that amateur stations are permitted to retransmit Space Shuttle air-to-ground communications, provided that approval has been obtained from NASA (FCC Rules, Part 97.113 (e)).

Goddard ARC, WA3NAN still handles the rebroadcasts and feeds (HF SSB, etc.)
    http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/
    Goddard ARC/WA3NAN
    P.O. Box 86
    Greenbelt, MD 20768-0086
    Telephone: (301) 286-6673 (during Shuttle missions)

In 1990, ARRL sought permission from NASA, on behalf of radio amateurs, to retransmit shuttle communications. The response from NASA's Office of Public Affairs encouraged such retransmissions, and indicated that the audio is public domain.

If you plan to rebroadcast NASA Shuttle audio, please follow these guidelines:

In keeping with good amateur practice and the FCC rules, shuttle audio retransmissions should be limited to missions of a specific educational purpose (non-commercial), such as those carrying the SAREX payload.

Retransmissions should be done manually (with a control operator present).

Occasionally, NASA audio may contain music. Amateurs should avoid, if at all possible, retransmitting music or any other prohibited transmissions not permitted by the FCC rules (FCC Rules, Part 97.113).
    Please note however that the Shuttle audio retransmitted by GARC is not what one can receive from NASA TV. Rather, we get a direct feed from NASCOM. The difference is that this audio feed does not contain other coverage such as press briefings and mission status reports. This is significant because of restrictions on what are considered "permissible" transmissions by the FCC (see item c. above).

Many of the amateur radio clubs adjacent to NASA or
    NASA Research facilities do rebroadcast to amateur radio freqeuncies during Shuttle launch and operations.

I listen to 446.575 MHz in the Chicago area -- I think the Motorola ARC handles that feed.

Ames Research ARC, NA6MF is located at NASA Ames Research Center on Moffett Field in California. They use 145.585 MHz.
    NASA-TV is re-transmitted through the K6BEN video repeater (421.25 MHz or cable channel 57) in the south San Francisco bay area.
    http://hamradio.arc.nasa.gov/shuttleaudio.html

w9gb

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.