ad: wmr-1

K7JA Chip Margelli SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by WB2WIK, May 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of meeting and listening to the wisdom of this legend on multiple occasions. RIP Chip

2. K3GM

K3GM Ham Member QRZ Page

I last worked Chip on transcontinental 6m, CW or course! Huge signal... Major loss for our community.... vy 7 3, Chip... de K3GM

3. RN3OG

RN3OG Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P.
    K7JA Chip

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't personally know K7JA, though like many of us he is in my log. I shook his hand at Ham-Com in Dallas when he was working for either Yaesu or Heil and as a high school radio nerd was wow'd by his appearance on The Tonight Show and even though I wasn't a CW op at the time I thought CW was cool and the ops that could send at those speeds amazed me. So while my finally becoming a code op was a cumulation of many things I do think I was partly inspired by Chip and that appearance on national television.

We have lost many legends this year in the hobby. May Chip rest in peace.

5. K2LCT

K2LCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew Chip and worked him on 6 meters from Honduras. He once told me he did Antenna work for W6AM on the bigga Rombics. May he rest in peace

6. W9OO

W9OO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip and I shared some mail and phone calls in the early seventies re contesting and just plain old comedy, being in the same age group. I have one of about 6 QSLs ever sent out by Chip's contest station, W7RM. Owner, Rush, simply didn't have the time to QSL tens of thousands of cards.

The "occupation" listed on my QSL at that time was "professional drunk." Well that was just a joke and Chip confirmed having the same career on his QSL, hi hi. His humor is clearly intact on the QSL he made up and can be seen here:
    https://carl3615.smugmug.com/School/CHIP/n-HtSDCw

K2HAT likes this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip and his wife were visitors to Alaska on several occasions. Met him. Nice guy. RIP.

8. WQ1Z

WQ1Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely why we did not see him in Xenia.

9. K9XR

K9XR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember in I would guess the late 60's and early 70's operating W7RM. He was one of the best operators, I ever heard or heard of. RIP Chip!

10. AA6IO

AA6IO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve known Chip for 45+ years. Worked a couple of FDs with him in late 70s. He is a true legend in amateur radio. Hard to believe he is gone. My condolences to his wife and family. RIP my friend.

11. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

RIP, a great influence on many and ham.

12. N4KCD

N4KCD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I met Chip just after he started at Yaesu. He was a good friend. Shocked and saddened by his passing. He was a really great person. Condolences and prayers for Janet and the family.