ad: Radclub22-1

QSO Today with Art Bell, W6OBB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1NCT/SK2023

KC1NCT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

12/07/2022.
    I enjoy listening to Art Bell's re-broadcast every night on the App, "Talk Radio." It can be found under "The very best of Art Bell. A man before his time.
    Mike
    KC1NCT
    73's.

WP4BRI, K0UO and KK7BTR like this.
  2. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

On a vacation drive through Nevada, I worked Art on 2 FM one afternoon..... Counts as one of the highlights of my 62 years in Ham radio.... Along with QSOs with Barry G and W6AM many years ago...... I was a huge fan... Listened for years, and.... YES.... He was polite, listened, and was able to get the best out of each and every guest, by allowing them to feel important, taken seriously, and respected. I remember the classic one... The guest 'Medicine Man' who was obviously very shy, embarrassed, and poorly prepared for the interview.... In addition to being obviously incapacitated...(Drunk to the point of slurring and forgetting) Art handled it as a true professional, NEVER made fun of him, or took a cheap verbal shot for audience entertainment. He DID have to terminate the non-productive interview and filled in time with calls, etc.....again giving his audience the highest quality of listening experience....... R I P Art. You are missed.

WP4BRI, KK7BTR, WQ6T and 2 others like this.
  3. WX2H

WX2H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I listen to those all the time. Great stuff.

K0UO and KK7BTR like this.
  4. KD5NSK

KD5NSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Always Loved Arts shows from slightly prior to Mel's hole on. Anyone remember the time machine he received from a caller that he said looked dangerous but would investigate it..I never heard more about it but, seems his life changed not too many years after. Maybe some of you close to him can put some clarity on the matter.

K0UO likes this.
  5. WQ6T

WQ6T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the 1990's I was working two jobs and going to school at the same time C2C kept me going, because of Art I've got my ham license, I know your out there Art, 73

W6OBB and KK7BTR like this.
  6. K8SV

K8SV Ham Member QRZ Page

As a young Air Force Security Policeman, Art Bell kept me from getting an Article 15 for sleeping on post on many a boring mid-shift. I definitely preferred Art to George.

WP4BRI, K0UO, W6OBB and 3 others like this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to mention, when talking about Art, the AM station KDWN comes to mind.

"KDWN's original 50,000-watt transmitter was on Galleria Drive in Henderson, and was nondirectional in the day and used three inline towers to produce a directional night signal nulled toward WGN (AM) on the same channel in Chicago. In 2020, it moved to a new site shared with KXST on North Sloan Lane in North Las Vegas. Currently, KDWN broadcasts with 25,000 wats during daytime hours and 7,500 watts at night, still protecting WGN with an asymmetrical three-tower pattern.[2] While the old nighttime signal could be heard throughout most of the Western United States, north into Canada and south into Mexico.[3], the new signal is more economical, continuing to cover the same metro with less spent power. KDWN also broadcasts using HD radio technology and is heard on the HD3 digital subchannel of co-owned KMXB in Henderson.[4] KDWN is Southern Nevada's primary entry point station for the Emergency Alert System."

As a Range Rat, I often drove across wide open areas of NV - both day and night. (Tonopah to LV or LV to Pioche NV)
    KDWN was s station I could count on day or night. Like KSL, it was easily heard on my vehicle radio from the Canadian border to the border with Mexico

K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  8. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still stand by that? Now that we know the FBI had a team telling Twitter certain accounts to.... er... "review" that were nothing but jokes & satire that they didn't like. Think that's not still happening with other outlets? Sounds exactly contrary to the First Amendment to me.

I was in many round tables with Art in the 2000s when a bunch of us would hang out on 75m at night (before his show). We had a great time, especially when someone would jump in there trying to stir things up. I learned a lot from him with regards to handling hecklers on the bands. Still use those techniques today. :D:D

K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  9. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I remember listening coast to coast with Art bell, but the most interesting part of his program was when he talked about his ham radio contacts, back then didn’t understand much about ham radio, Art bell probably gets credit for my interest in ham radio. later on I heard him on 40 meters talking with Scotty out of Reno. W6FRD

K0UO and W6OBB like this.
  10. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the thing we are dealing with now.

People whom think something fits into one can, but it really doesn't.

No, the FBI asking Twitter to review certain accounts is not the dsme thing as throwing you in the gulag because you spoke out against Putin. Once. Twenty years ago. On a foreign soil.

See the difference?

Probably not, but I tried.

11. KI5GFU

KI5GFU Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was a legend. I loved the special "lines" he'd setup so vampires, bigfoots and the like could call in and talk direct. :) As a gravyard worker for many years, he def. kept my mind active in the wee hours of the night. One of my favorite nights of listening to him was a long drive from Stead NV back to Seattle up 395 into Klamath. It was around 9 PM when I left Reno/Stead. That road is desolate, winding through the mountains. The sort of place you'd expect to see a UFO since there ZERO signs of humans... listening to his show.

I think George has done an OK job taking over for Art, but it's not the same at all. There will never be another Art Bell.

Thanks for sharing your stories about Art.

WP4BRI, K0UO, W6OBB and 1 other person like this.
  12. N9UTJ

N9UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Art's call sign should have been left as non attainable for a vanity call as now someone has taken it , apparently it is one who already HAD a vanity call before hand . <<< period <<

WP4BRI, K0UO and N8QQE like this.
  13. K2LOL

K2LOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Bell was the BEST in late night talk radio shows. You'd never forget his voice. Today, Coast to Coast has lost my interest and respect for all the hosts. Rest in piece Art......we all will join you in heaven some day.....
    73's for now......
    K2LOL

WP4BRI and K0UO like this.
  14. N9UTJ

N9UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What a shame they didn't retire Art's call to memorialize it , of course someone got it as a vanity call.

K0UO likes this.