ad: wmr-1

what happens on QRZ when the Hams have nothing to do

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by W7HU, Dec 2, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello there just for your information
    I put up for sale a radio and I asked for cash, ZELLE, CASHAPP, or Paypal Friend and Family this ad was reviewed by the qrz moderator and I followed all the rules of the site but there were some friends that started comment about Paypal F &F so check the video to see the problem and why is very important to know what to say 73 dx W7HU

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Alex, good to see you.

This is why this is happening, many scammers are using Paypal F&F. So there lots of warnings about folks using Paypal F&F here on QRZ. Myself I would have no problems buying from you with F&F from you. But another ham that does not have the track record and history you do I would not buy from someone like that.

3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cojelo con take it easy hermano. La Zeta es un buen espacio.

KC7JNJ, K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

No moderator approved of an ad with Paypal F&F. None of us like it. It was permitted.

We uniformly and strongly suggest to not use Paypal F&F unless you desire no recourse whatsoever, because W7HU is your trusted personal friend or cousin. All others should remember they have no recourse.

73 Tom W9YW

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

So he trolled QRZ with a fake ad that had all the stranger-danger keywords?

KL7KN likes this.
  6. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Because you must now be a paid member to post, and that process helps vet the person posting in the Swapmeets, some of the rules have been relaxed.

Some people believe that the relaxation of the Paypal F&F rules are a reason to do chest thumping and crowing, but it's really not advisable unless in reality, you're a personal friend of family member of the person doing the transaction.

Otherwise, you're at extreme risk, despite the vetting done by being a paid member of QRZ.com. You have no legal recourse. People are going to great lengths to additionally avoid a 1099 that Paypal will send by making transactions with Goods and Services payments.

Our rules apply to our posters, who are also subscribers. We would prefer that their methods protect both parties, but some want to (artfully?) avoid all liability. It is for this reason, that we suggest: Caveat emptor where you have no recourse. We would prefer that you never have any reason for recourse. But you might. That's why we don't recommend such methods. Some won't care. Some want to shave off that extra 3%. Some want to avoid a 1099. Some don't want to cry when a received item isn't what they expected. For that reason, the tears, they should walk away from a seemingly great ham-to-ham transaction and not look back.

And some will soapbox their immunity from liability.

73 Tom W9YW

WD4ELG and KE0GXN like this.
  7. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you don't know this, but asking for PayPal F&F when selling merchandise is a violation of your agreement with PayPal. And, to put it crudely, if you didn't know that then you appear to be ignorant. If you did know it, then you appear to be untrustworthy because you won't do what you said you would and you're willing to try to cheat PayPal.

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wicked smart Callsign logo. Love it.

As for the video - not so much.

W0AQ likes this.
  9. W7HU

W7HU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL, GUYS, I SOLD THE RADIO TO A LOCAL GUY IN MIAMI I DID NOT USE THE SERVICE BUT IT IS SO FUNNY HOW WE CALL EACH OTHER FRIENDS AND FOR SOME THINGS WE ARE NOT LOL. ANY WAY I DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT ON MY RADIOS I ALWAYS SELL IT LOWER THAT WHAT I PAY IF YOU DON LIKE IT TO BAD 73 TO ALL

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Well Elixander, you could do well by learning to edit your videos before you post them. That one was unwatchable.

It seems like you're missing a key concept here. The concept is that more thefts have happened using Friends & Family than have not.

Let that sink in.

We've been doing this swapmeet for 25 years. I could rip off hundreds of people using what I've learned here. Instead, I use that knowledge to turn it around or at least to steer people toward safety. Not one thing about this policy has anything to do with you. The issue of trust between us does not exist. The policy exists because IT IS THE BEST POLICY when dealing with unknown people on the internet.

Also, you should note that we do not prevent you from using Friends & Family. We just don't want you advertising it, and we don't want the general public to believe that it's normal or okay. Once you're negotiating with your buyer, you can ask for whatever you want. So, why put it on the for sale page? It isn't necessary. You only mention it to make a point that doesn't need to be made.

NN4RH, W0AQ and KE0GXN like this.
  11. KO6VK

KO6VK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone,
    I want an objective answer to this question.
    What is the difference in the sense of liability for the buyer between Zelle, CashApp, and Paypal Friend and Family?

KC7JNJ likes this.
  12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

With these "cash" apps, the buyer has basically no recourse if the seller is a scammer. Would you hand cash money to a random person on the street if they offered to sell you something sight unseen? Typically the buyer's common sense goes out the window when they think they've scored the deal of the century.