ad: elecraft

Design Your Ideal Shack with Dave W7UUU

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Dec 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good information. Thanks so much!

K1LKP likes this.
  2. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dreams are a huge part of the hobby. Tom and I have been planning a video on that topic. We touch on it in a few previous videos. See the link below.

Quin, K8QS, Co-Host, Ham Radio Perspectives
    https://www.youtube.com/c/hamradioperspectives/videos

4. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely great job guys and you inspired me to get rid of the wall warts and I’m wondering a couple of questions:

1. If I move the wall warts just in the other room so they can be used do you think that’s minimizing noise or are they going to make noise no matter where they are in the house? My wife probably doesn’t want me to put wall warts all over the place. I can do a trial and error test. Just curious your experiences?

2. The potential fire hazard of a surge protector or a power strip was an eye-opener! You should be able to see a picture of the one I use and it’s probably 15 + years old. Do you think I just replace it or is there preferred brands? In the meantime I can just disconnect it from the wall but I’d hate for something like that to explode!

3. I think the next step for Ham radio perspectives is pictures of the messiest Shacks known to man contest. Man caves from the twilight zone etc?

Dave …I wanna be like you when I grow up! Best 73’s. John WB4JHS Orlando Florida
    image.jpg

5. WB4JHS

By the way this is the one my company probably gave me 15 years ago wondering if it’s better Quality or is it subject to the same failure? image.jpg

K1LKP likes this.
  6. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great one, Quin & Tom!

7. WA9TDD

WA9TDD Ham Member QRZ Page

John,
    Based on Dave's explanation of his fire, the predominant cause was the plastic housing of the power strip creating the intense heat and flame. The strips you are showing have plastic housings, so no matter how long or faithful they have performed in the past is not an indication that they will remain safe. I would recommend the Tripp-Lite Isobar surge protectors. They have a metal housing, but they are not cheap, though they are cheap insurance to protect your rig and property. I use these exclusively throughout my shack and shop. 73, Tom. Ham Radio Perspectives - YouTube isobar8ultra-front-l.jpg

AK5B and PY2NEA like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The point being: if the suppressor is based on MOVs (most are), one of their failure modes is they get super hot and burst into flame. If the box the strip is built in is made of plastic, the plastic can easily burn and catch your room on fire. That's exactly what happened to me. METAL housings can't do that so easily.

But there's already a very long thread on all of that elsewhere. Probably best to not hijack Quin's fine YouTube presentation further :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B and PY2NEA like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AK5B and W7UUU like this.
  10. WB4JHS

I will replace them based on your recommendations! Who knows guys you might save a life! God bless. John

AK5B, W1YW and W7UUU like this.
  11. W1QZ

W1QZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most important, either plastic or metal, pay attention to the power ratings of all your power strips.

12. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Not an excess of Amps. Was simply a component failure, one faulty part, ill, aged before due replacement.

I guess radio-amateurs are well aware of safety electrics, we're not dealing with Brazilian shanty-town dwellers, here.
    For those, there will never be enough safety devices. Christmas time, no CheapChina junk lights starting a fire, yet? Wait n see.

Oliver

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave's (W7UUU) fire wasn't a stray cigarette lighting up an easy chair, or a clothes drier that didn't have a cleaned lint filter. It was a 'mean time between failures' defective surge protector that never ever should have been sold.

I discovered I has a couple of these at the QTH that looked like Dave's charred one (that started the fire). They were trashed in 30 seconds.

Those varistors have a couple of failure modes, apparently, and one of them is to (!) seriously overheat. W7UUU and WA9TDD esssentially point out that this failure is exacerbated--and dangerous-- if the varistor is inside a plastic housing, because the plastic WILL CATCH ON FIRE in that scenario. You potentially get a 'napalm'- like fiery goo. The best defense is replacement of these surge protector/power strips on a periodic basis, AND use of metal-cased versions (as W7UUU and WA9TDD said).

It is outrageous that we hear about this through the losses of one of the best antique rig collectors/restoreres-through no fault of his own. The manufacturers should be held to warn on this.

IMO.

Chip W1YW

AK5B, KU4X, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a coincidence this is an old power strip...example from the internet---not, apparently, a 'this manufacturer is OK, but that one is not'...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    W7UUU likes this.
  15. WB4JHS

I ordered a tested used one on EBay aluminum case 8 socket for $42 delivered in. Cheaper than a house fire!

W1YW likes this.