ad: MLSons-1

HamClock How To From a Linux Admin

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll get hamclock installed and there are also some other hidden gems in this one if you watch closely. Designed to be thorough, commands in the description and always able to rewind and see it again. Hope it helps out!

KA8UGB, KI4RBI, W4BTH and 18 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

KM4ACK has had this in video for a couple of years now plus added versions. I used his vids and yes Hamclock is good. ACK is very solid in giving the dope on it,

K1XH, KA8UGB, N4CAX and 3 others like this.
  3. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this app. Truly usable raspberry pi project that I keep on all the time. The commands to make it come up when plugged in is very useful!

I put this on my club email list as sharing this clever app, and the only reply i got was someone saying that "if you dont want to do any of the IT stuff you can buy it from XXX", and it was hundreds of dollars to buy.... I was so disappointed in my club. lol. absolute facepalm

G0FVT, N7ZV, MW1CFN and 3 others like this.
  4. W6EBD

W6EBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome video, exactly the upcoming project I intend to build once I get all of the parts. I think what sets this video apart from others is that it specifically addresses a specific single use setup for just doing ham clock. Excellently done.

N7ZV, M1WML, KM9G and 1 other person like this.
  5. NA8Y

NA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Very timely post. Thank you. I have all the parts I need for this already but zero time to do the research! Posting so I can easily find it easily when snow flies here in Cleveland.

Nice!

N7ZV, M1WML and KM9G like this.
  6. W3QJ

W3QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job Steve, I am old Unix guy converting to linix, love it great stuff. How can you install on a Ubuntu existing system. Should be fairly simple without full takeover. I have to go to banking and QRZ on my Ubuntu system.
    thanks 73, Bob W3QJ

M1WML likes this.
  7. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it worked, once. Left it running overnight and it sure was pretty. Had to restart the computer and now its gone. Anything I type in the command prompt it seams like the computer has amnesia.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

8. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree

9. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this! Just built it last night with a pi 2 I had laying around and a spare monitor. Works a treat. Will update to a 3 or 4 to make things a little zippier, but the 2 is getting it done at the moment.

10. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have this and the Geochron. Both will always have a monitor in my shack. Love them both.

W1BCL likes this.
  11. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

After you get to the part where you can run `hamclock` and do the config, you're done. The rest was to make it standalone. I believe there is a hamclock.desktop file to add to the menus also.

12. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Please understand that many people like myself do not have an interest or desire to learn another OS that it in itself is a very time consuming undertaking. Many just want to enjoy being on the radio with the time they have to do so.

A year or so ago, I managed to get Hamclock running with what info is on the ClearSky web page, but it took me many, many frustrating hours to get it to run at a resolution close to my normal 15" computer screen. It's a neat piece of software but the added screen took up too much space and my logging software already offers a grey line map and propagation charts. I put Pi's hotspot SD card back in it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  13. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! I downgraded mine to a 1B+ and I'm happy with its eye candy.

N6DZK and M1WML like this.
  14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not trying to slam you OB, but with your VIDEO it didn't do ANYTHING FOR US!!!
    Our visual on one of my TFT MONITORS IS THE "GeoChron" black box, it's not ONLY USER FRIENDLY BUT WE DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THE "B.S"!!!
    Maybe for younger individuals they can DECHIPHER WHAT YOU HAD MENTIONED ON UR TUTORIAL, BUT FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE OVER 40 I DON'T THINK IT WAS INFORMATIVE @ ALL!!! My opinion only of course!!!

N7ZV and M1WML like this.
  15. W0MVV

W0MVV Ham Member QRZ Page

hamclock.jpg Built over the last two days on an old Pi 1-B+. Works beautifully with 24" wide screen monitor (1920x1080 w/xrandr scaling from 1600x960). What a great addition to my shack! Love it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    KM9G and M1WML like this.