ad: CQMM-1

Cuban Government Jamming 40 meter US HAM BAND

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K4KKC, Jul 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4KKC

K4KKC Ham Member QRZ Page

With all of the social media available to us today is only a matter of time before one little comment "goes viral" and makes it around the world. Which other social media outlets do you think we all have access to? If everyone looking at this post just shares it one time on social media it might just make it to the mainstream news.

KF4ZKU and KO4ESA like this.
  2. KG5RKP

KG5RKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course there has been jamming in the past.

Here's the deal: We are licensed hams. The license that gives us access to the spectrum we're privileged to operate in includes responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to report ANYTHING that's getting into our bands. That's our responsibility. We don't get to decide that since someone else may or may not do their job that our responsibility is null.

TL;DR: If we don't do our jobs, we don't get to complain about anyone else.

Oh well. At least there will be one report in the blasted database. I'm going back for some solder therapy. This place reminds me why I left facebook 10 years ago.

KF4ZKU, PY2NEA, W4DRO and 3 others like this.
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To set the record straight (from six days ago):

“We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and from the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba’s authoritarian regime. The Cuban people are bravely asserting fundamental and universal rights. Those rights, including the right of peaceful protest and the right to freely determine their own future, must be respected. The United States calls on the Cuban regime to hear their people and serve their needs at this vital moment rather than enriching themselves.”
    --The current administration

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...sident-joseph-r-biden-jr-on-protests-in-cuba/
    Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

KF4ZKU, PY2NEA, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please remember this is not a political forum. Yes, this situation obviously has political overtones. QRZ has been watching the thread progress and allowed some commentary slip by that is clearly partisan, and US/politically oriented.

There are thousands of web sites on the internet to discuss the US and Cuban political actions, reactions, and ramifications. QRZ isn't the forum to discuss it however.

So please no further discussion of American policies, quotes from US political leaders, etc. unless they are specifically addressing amateur radio (or the jamming of amateur radio, as the case may be)

No further direct partisan political comments (or quotes of previously made political comments) will be allowed.

It's not censorship - it's site rules.

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

KG4RRH, AG5DB, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB9LUR

WB9LUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm mostly a CW op and don't operate phone too much but just had voice QSO's with LZ2VU and LZ4EB right through the jamming. Yes, they can hear the jamming too - but they're making Q's right through it anyway. At 03:30 July 29 UTC they are still on 7170 LSB

Best way to flip the jammers off might be to just keep using the band.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    KF4ZKU, PY2NEA, KG5RKP and 3 others like this.
  6. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The crap seems to be all upband. Down below 7025, on CW, I just worked @LZ1EV, @OV1CDX, and @F5IN.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

N2EY and KO4ESA like this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The thread is probably useful to some degree... Today I was working FT8 on 17 meters. The band was open to the Caribbean and a couple of Cuban stations were on. Suddenly, I heard what sounded like a raspy buzzing signal and there were signals all across the waterfall that looked very similar to those shown in this thread and the other one. (thread that is...)

The Cubans seemed not to be affected and neither were al the others working the waterhole this afternoon. Point being, that if that was jamming, it was ineffective at least on 17 today. and it was not there for very long.

Just another data point for consideration.

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. AA4SS

AA4SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I was victim to this Saturday July 17th. I was doing a POTA activation on 7.230 in Eastern North Carolina. Started transmitting around 22:23 UTC and appox @ 22:45 ,I got a loud QRM signal. Lasted about 1 minute then was gone.

KO4ESA and (deleted member) like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe yes mostly no. Lot of things that allow fast bursts such as you experienced. AC frequency drives on high horsepower motors are notorious for that type of interference along with other industrial operations. Jamming is usually a long lasting effect.

KO4ESA, KA0HCP and (deleted member) like this.
  10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally, someone who gets it. TU

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. K2BLU

K2BLU Ham Member QRZ Page

THE "interference " seems to be in MULTIPLES---- around 7 130 7 168 LOWER AND ABOVE ---but there are still plenty of USEABLE space on 40 for qso's.....

KO4ESA and AG5DB like this.
  12. K4ABX

K4ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I got it wrong or maybe Im a relatively new ham and just don’t understand older hams mindset. But these are our bands. Yes we’re secondary users but we have privilege to use them. When the fcc gives away a portion of the band, everyone is up in arms. And when a decent portion of one the most popular ham bands is jammed by an entity that is jamming the frequency in order to halt beneficial communications to its people, no one cares and is willing to spin the vfo to “useable” portions without complaint. Including the ARRL. If no one is willing to complain about it, who’s to say the FCC will one day go after those portions of the band that ham radio operators just let go passively.

N0JRK, KO4ESA, NM5XD and 5 others like this.
  13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. What we do as individuals on air has no bearing or restriction on the ARRL, FCC or Dept. of State do.
    2. Work through the interference if you wish.
    3. On the other, hand, if you enjoy having a jack hammer in your ear, when other frequencies are clear; Go for it!

As a former military comm operator, we trained to work through jamming because of necessity to accomplish the mission, and due to peace time comm plan limitations. As amateurs, we don't have the same limitations.

KG4RRH, KO4ESA and N0TZU like this.
  14. AE4JS

AE4JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My money is on Cuba. Josh from Ham Radio Crash Course (YouTube) has a short video on using digital software to triangulate where the signals were coming from. You guessed it, Cuba. Or maybe aliens living in Cuba...

KO4ESA and K4ABX like this.
  15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

40m is a primary allocation for amateurs, not secondary.

And I care very deeply about the situation, and the jamming. But the most effective way to show that we care, and to protect any of our allocations, is to use them despite any interference.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    PY2NEA, KO4ESA, K4ABX and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.