ad: Retevis-1

Loop On Ground Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5W

KD5W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Always looking for good antennas to use in HOA I thought I would give the LOG antenna a try. I was surprised by the results. This is definitely going to be a permanent antenna now.

KE8GA, KB0QIP, MI0GTA and 5 others like this.
  2. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

I used this antenna when I was a SWL back in the 1980s. It worked okay, but my then-friend who was renting a room from me destroyed a couple of versions of it while "helpfully" doing yard work. Prior warnings about the antenna and the trip danger went unheeded.

AJ6KZ, M1WML, K4MID and 3 others like this.
  3. KD5W

At least it is easy to fix since it's on the ground!

M1WML, K4MID and KW2P like this.
  4. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The lawn mower wasn't as easy as the antenna.

N5YPJ, AJ6KZ, GM4JPZ and 9 others like this.
  5. KD5W

Lol, that would have been a mess

M1WML, K4MID and AD7SK like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think a wet noodle is a better antenna/ .... ..

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

W5RD, M0MNE, M1WML and 5 others like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems the easiest way for me to find old wires is to use the lawn tractor, after 31 years they breed.

N5YPJ, KG4RRH, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recently deployed a 95 foot circumference Loop On the Dirt, with 75 feet of RG213 feedline.
    Received signals on 75 Meters are down 6 to 7 S units compared to 252 foot horizontal loop at 38 feet.
    Unfortunately, the noise is down only 2 S units.
    So Far, after 3 days I have not heard anything better on the ground than I have in the sky. Possible improvement may come from a common mode choke, or a balun at feedpoint.

R2FCV, M1WML, HB9EPC and 4 others like this.
  9. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago I tried a vertically oriented loop with a rotator, at 25 feet high, as a receive only antenna, on 75 meters. It was a square, where each side was 10 feet, total length 40 feet. I was able to null out noise very effectively, and I used a regular full size horizontal dipole at about 50 feet as a transmitting antenna. Eventually a T-Storm destroyed the loop, but I noticed most of my atmospheric noise was vertically oriented and consistently from one direction, so I reoriented my transmitting dipole and I was able to cut down the noise somewhat. It wasn't as effective as nulling the noise with a separate vertically oriented receive loop antenna, but it helped.

M1WML, UT7UX and K0UO like this.
  10. K7KJN

K7KJN Ham Member QRZ Page

Needs a cheap pre-amp from Amazon. About $16. My LoG is 130 feet and picks up just about every signal my 80m inverted vee does, as well as most of what my 7-band (40-10m) Cobweb antenna does. And it's quieter too. My LoG is my permanent RX only antenna for my SDR. Also, using 75 ohm TV cable is a much better match than 50 ohm coax. See KK5JY LoG.

KK9W and M1WML like this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess if you cannot get wire in the air . I loaded up an abandoned rail line and it played pretty well but it was a few miles long.

GM4JPZ, M1WML, K3RW and 1 other person like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.

Why are we celebrating poorly performing antennas?

M1WML and W2TH like this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I see discussion; not celebration.

GM4JPZ, M1WML, AA4MB and 1 other person like this.
  14. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, you do the best with the budget, housing and other restraints within which you operate.

N5YPJ, W2CPD, M1WML and 5 others like this.
  15. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I really, really doubt that a LOG has a better receive SNR than any above-ground horizontal wire antenna. The physics just does not support it.

Now it is possible that when comparing SNR by switching between two receiving antennas, the coax feedlines from the receiver to the respective antennas have a different degree of suppression of Common-Mode currents on the feedlines. Since it is CM current on the coax shield that likely conducts RFI from your house's electrical wiring to the antenna feedpoint, the antenna with the higher degree of CM suppression on its feedline will appear to have a better SNR.

KR3DX, M1WML, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.