ad: CQMM-1

ELECRAFT K4D - Tested by HB9NBG+HB9FZC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by HB9NBG, Jun 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is fundamentally impossible to observe any differences between high-grade receivers when the receivers are much better than the transmitters which form the actual interferers.

When Rob Sherwood measures receiver performance he uses unmodulated CW signal sources which are at least 50 dB "cleaner" at "close-in" spacings than any fielded SSB transmitter.

The first adjacent channel IMD spectral density of a medium-grade SSB transmitter corresponds to a sideband noise level of about - 80 or 85 dBc/Hz, which can be compared to the at least -140 dBc/Hz which
    is required to measure a 2 kHz receiver spaced dynamic range in excess of 100 dB.

upload_2021-7-4_14-22-3.png

This would also enter the picture in the CW or A1A usage context.

The plot below, from K9YC, illustrates this.

If all transmitters were K3:s, a 2 kHz spaced receiver dynamic range of perhaps 90 dB could be used in practice.

upload_2021-7-4_14-4-48.png

If you do not believe me, suggest that you locate the proceedings of the 2019 Nordic HF Conference and repeat for yourself the measurements made in preparing the presentation

"Performance limitations in HF communication systems composed of practical realisable hardware".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    HB9PJT, N3AWS, KA4FIX and 5 others like this.
  2. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

Fahrvergnügen. Well done!

M1WML likes this.
  3. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to translate it in my head more accurately, and I speak no German. Youtube auto translate is worthless.

M1WML, K0UO and PY2NEA like this.
  4. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Du meintest ausgezeichnet. Nicht wahr?

M1WML likes this.
  5. KO4CES

KO4CES Ham Member QRZ Page

No, not necessarily. I meant the pleasure of driving a new DX radio. But ausgezeichnet is good, too.

M1WML and K8VHL like this.
  6. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Who told you English was The International Language? It's a popular language yes, but no one is under any obligation to use it as a second language. Only 1 billion people can speak English. That's only 12 per cent of the World's population.

M1WML and N3AWS like this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quantity and quality matter. In third world countries, one who knows the same English or another foreign language usually also has more knowledge in other areas, more money and more power than others.
    Have you ever wondered why we hear so few local radio amateurs on the air from the same Africa?
    Personally, I associate the rapid decrease in the number of new radio amateurs in the post-Soviet space precisely with the rapid decline in the literacy level among young people.

M1WML, K8VHL and PY2NEA like this.
  8. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Thread warning: The thread is not about English, it's about the K4D.

K5SLO, M1WML, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  9. IV3DDJ

IV3DDJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting machine, hope it's good as the price! But leds just above the tuning knob seem to be a DIY made,
    not accettable for "that" value!

M1WML likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a trick. A recognizable design is very important for a brand.

M1WML and HB9NBG like this.
  11. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Serh gut video. Gut germacht. I do sprechan Deutsch.

M1WML and HB9NBG like this.
  12. VE3EY

VE3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't mean to nitpick but it appears to me that the screws holding three antenna connectors in place on that K4 are rusted already. I suspect soon there will be a K4SSscrew kit available for purchase for $40 :)
    Jokes aside, I am sure it is a great radio and likely some day I will own one.

K0UO and M1WML like this.
  13. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have three elecrafts at the Club, and two more provided by members at Field Day. I’m just a country boy from North Carolina, but to me, I prefer operating my Yaesu or Icom . The Bentley impresses neighbors, but the Toyota may be just as good for most.

K0UO likes this.
  14. KX2T

KX2T Ham Member QRZ Page

By the time the K4D is available one of the big three will have there next generation radio out, Icom will have a newer version of the 7610, maybe the Pro series in that radio and a 7300 Pro as well, Kenwood will have a replacement for the 990S and maybe an SG on the 890, Yaesu will have a 101MKII and the TenMKII by then all with outstanding RX numbers so by that time the K4 will be old hat tech.
    Most of the K4's on the air have been beta testers of EU dealers so I cannot get overly exited by a biased report plus the sherwood labs number were all not that great, to compare a 7610 to one you gotta place at least 10db of antennation in the front end of the 7610 and that goes for the Flex radio's as well cause there front end deaf compared to Icom and Kenwoods.

K0UO likes this.
  15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious: have you ever used the Elecrafts? And if so, for how long? Reason I ask is...

...years ago I was sticking my nose up in the air in disgust of a certain Yaesu HF rig. As luck, or fate would have it, I had the opportunity to use that rig for an extended period of time - not just an afternoon or weekend. I went into this courtship with a jaundiced eye, but became a fanboy. Lo and behold, it turned out being a very fine rig, both in the UI sense, but also its on-the-air performance.

Coincidentally, I see a few IC-705s hitting the used market already! Guess for some, the honeymoon is over...

KC2IEB and KJ5XF like this.