ad: Radclub22-1

ELECRAFT K4D - Tested by HB9NBG+HB9FZC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by HB9NBG, Jun 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you call someone that understands three languages? - Trilingual.

Someone who understands two languages? - Bilingual.

Only one language? - American...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K0PJM, K5XS, M0MNE and 8 others like this.
  2. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, maybe not. In the past French was quite popular at least within so called high society and generally in diplomacy and I can tell you many of OM in France do not speak anything else than French… and stay on 40 and 80m but this is due to our bad school system. US is pretty big and many Americans never left their country like lot of Russians or Chinese so no need for.
    In Europe we have lot of small countries and we move much more thus probably more need to speak something else abroad and possibly common one. Esperanto did not work so today more likely that will be English and not German, Italian, Spanish or French. It happened that Americans Britons and few more already speak that one already .

M1WML and SV2HZF like this.
  3. SM0AOM

I believe that this is a generation question.

When I travelled a lot in France, Germany and Switzerland during the 80s and 90s, most younger people had a working knowledge of at least English.

In Sweden, in order to qualify for an University education in the 70s, a working knowledge of three foreign languages was required.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

M1WML and F4HPX like this.
  4. HB9GZE

HB9GZE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So it finally arrived! Good you keep us informed René about this great transceiver! On this and other pages. Hope you soon can deliver all the pre-orders.
    73, Stefan, HB9GZE

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  5. G0UUT

G0UUT Ham Member QRZ Page

correct btw this guy do not know English I know him not nice guy any way don't buy anything from him

M1WML likes this.
  6. W8LYJ

W8LYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As Rob Sherwood explained the KX2/3 are not better radios. That’s a apples to oranges comparison.

M1WML likes this.
  7. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can turn on the translation for getting such sentences: "i long press it and now i have button check advance cancer ingenious software is up to date".

Fortunately (or not), you can only learn from it that the K4D's holes are hollow, buttons are numerous, LCD is big, you can even make QSO's with it, the quality is high, and so on. Although, the latter is just a statement yet lacking further explanation where this thought or feeling comes from - that, for example, could have been informative. (Yes, I already know the Sherwood Eng's data on it, caused some surprise, but I hope this radio will climb higher after some sw/hw fine tuning as well as it is common to Elecraft.)

This all may happen to be interesting enough sometimes when information is scarce about something at a given time, but I think such a video is also not worth to be on the main page as usual.

M1WML and PY2NEA like this.
  8. HB9NBG

HB9NBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chris and thanks very much for your "interesting" feedback.
    I think, that it is ok to appriciate the life we have and smile, because we are lucky people:)
    Of course it's not enough to smile ;-) So, please have a look at our areas of activity here: https://www.lutz-electronics.ch/ueber-uns/unser-angebot/
    If you have some more questions, feel free to contact us by e-Mail;)

Hope to meet you soon on air or maybe even in person and vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de YL Carine, HB9FZC

M1WML likes this.
  9. F4HPX

Rob Sherwood "best receiver" test is mainly aiming dynamic range - in the situation of crowded bands during the contest to be able to hear and copy weak signal in presence of nearby strong ones. It was said somewhere that all 100dB (and more) radios are top range, but difference of 10dB probably will be heard in such situation.

KX2 for sure is not better, although I have one actually, still love it and do not planning any replacement.

K3S gained enormous popularity as a DX Expedition and Contest Radio and it's hard to replace. The long time to deliver K4 caused mainly by COVID crisis and the decision to stop selling K3S made probably lot of us unhappy and for sure cut the revenue of the company.

Yes I agree about apples to oranges comparison - size similar but color, taste and structure not the same....

Considering weight/form factor and clean transmit signal K3S will probably remain still the preferred one for DX Expeditions.

Usually each radio is best suited for some particular purpose because of its weight, size, power, clean TX signal, DSP performance, knobs, waterfall, ergonomics and so on.
    There is no one the best of all and for all - otherwise it would be sitting for long time on our shelves already apart if the price is an issue.

M1WML and HB9NBG like this.
  10. HB9NBG

HB9NBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Thomas and thanks very much for your feedback.

My-self I like using ELECRAFT Radios as a very activ radioamateur - independent of our profession as a Distributor from ELECRAFT. I also think, that I'm not an absolutely unexperienced HAM;) I love SOTA and I'm DXing again and again on the bands since 1990 - some of you here had a QSO's already with me:) Our goal was it to show the K4 in a real HAM-shack and to show, that it works fine and that it sounds fine - of course, that's my own subjective assessment

Until now you could only see some Presentations about the K4 from Eric him-self, which were produced in English language. Because of that, Carine and I decided to post our first presentation in German, and we've postet that thread here, because QRZ.com is used also by a lot of German speaking HAMs, who don't understand the English language and appriciate to have the opportunity watching a first presentation in German - BTW I do really not speak the English language very well, and it's much easier for me to present my own opinion about a Transceiver in my mother-language.

Anyhow, thanks very much to you, Thomas, and also thanks very much for all the other feedbacks.

Wishing you all the best and vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

DD0VU, HB9TRR, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  11. F4HPX

Hello Réné.
    Personally I am enjoying your videos and many others as I can learn something new but I don't speak German.
    I am doing SOTA too with KX2 and I am jalous to not have any mountains close to me (Paris region).
    In fact the only SOTA activations I've done on Indian Ocean :) so an unxpected place... but looking forward for S2S qso.

73 de Thomas F4HPX/AG7JQ and quite recently also 7X0TM but only for few weeks more and only on DMR/C4FM/D-star because local regulations were not HAM friendly for foreigners.

M1WML and HB9NBG like this.
  12. SM0AOM

No, for anyone to notice the difference between a 100 and a 110 dB dynamic range receiver it would require that the transmitters are at least 10 dB better. Such real-life transmitters are impossible to make.

In the 90s, G3RZP researched the actual dynamic ranges that could be usable, and found it to be about 85 dB, in exceptional cases 90-95 dB. This was before the wide-spread spectrum pollution of switch-mode power supplies, and when HF broadcasts still were in vogue.

There is reason to believe that the practical DR requirements are about 15-20 dB less today.

Something that is long overdue is a "Sherwood list for transmitters". This is somewhat easier to do compared to receivers, as even "run-of-the-mill" SDR:s such as the Perseus are better than any fielded transmitter.

If one of the better Rohde&Schwarz real-time spectrum analysers that have on-screen DR:s in excess of 100 dB could be used, there are margins for even the very best transmitters.

Should such a list be compiled and published, some owners of very expensive gear are in for a quite "rude awakening"...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

HB9PJT, M1WML, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  13. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to mention Carine und René not even dare showing us the most interesting part, unboxing.
    Seems rather lightweight and flimsy, that loooooong awaited Elecraft.

Oliver

M1WML likes this.
  14. F4HPX

Not so sure and I believe this is not depending on transmitter side and measured only on receiver but of course in lab conditions and not in real life when you add noise and so on.

I agree - you can have an awesome receiver, but "dirty" transmitter - you copy everybody but they do not understand/copy you. Raw output power is not enough.

M1WML likes this.
  15. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True. And the worst part is that they actually believe the incredibly stupid things that come out of their mouths, or in this case, from their keyboards.

M1WML likes this.