ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio License Plates!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WB4AEJ, Feb 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked as a law enforcement and emergency dispatcher for 15 years, so I'm not ignorant of the threat, either. It's just that all the years of driving around with a ham tag I never once had a problem, not even having radios stolen out of my vehicle.

M1WML, KO4ESA and WB4AEJ like this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but if you piss someone off in traffic they can call the state police and falsely claim you pointed a firearm at them using the free personal info you advertised. If you have a CCW permit own a firearm, etc their story has credit to it and it's their word against yours. That's a legal proceeding and expense I would rather avoid. After a similar experience I no longer put any form of special interest decals on any of our vehicles.

M1WML and KO4ESA like this.
  3. N2UHC

They can do that by calling in your tag number no matter what it is. The police have your name & address just by looking up your tag.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You are missing a point somehow. My comment has has nothing to do about being identified. It's about giving the crazy public enough info about yourself via bumper stickers to craft a story credible enough to report to the police to get you locked up or at least create expensive legal issues for you.

5. N2UHC

Really, does this happen often?

6. AC5A

AC5A Ham Member QRZ Page

lol

Attached Files:

M1WML, WN1MB, KO4ESA and 4 others like this.
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

:p

8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ham plates so potential thieves will know that I'm a ham, and therefore cheap and don't have anything worth stealing.

M1WML, KO4ESA, WB4AEJ and 4 others like this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in a Corvette which far removed the cheap title. Both attempts were in Lawrence MA where English was in a minority.

The cops in my town just 12 miles from Lawrence and 5 from Lowell MA turned profiling into an art that worked well.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt if the boonies of St Paul Kansas were on the FBI's high crime cities list. With a population of 575 and a bit over one square mile to brag about; there are bigger parking lots around here.

11. N2UHC

I lived in a bigger city when I had my ham tags, though. Still never had a problem.

12. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

My plate came in today and I put it as my profile picture.

13. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They are definitely great for that!

14. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The State of Arizona has 64 specialty license plates for autos, vans, and light duty trucks alone. As a former cop, I notice plates, but rarely ever see an Amateur radio plate. Part of the reason they aren't more popular is that one cannot order them online and who really wants to stand in a long line at DMV / MVD?

15. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page