ad: MyersEng-1

Feedline to Ham Radio Antennas with Shawn "Billy" Williams, ZS1SBW and YouTube Elmer, Jim Heath W6LG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ZS1SBW, Mar 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Shawn has a very different installation of his feedline to the StepIR Antenna. The installation is mostly about noise reduction. Shawn does a lot of low power, QRP, work on HF. Hi

Jim Heath W6LG

KJ7RDV, KA5ETX, NJ0F and 3 others like this.
  2. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

??????

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim, is a fine man. My respect for him knows no bounds. I’ve learnt so much from him.

VE2HEW, NJ0F, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. NJ4Z

NJ4Z Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video Jim, very interesting.

M1WML and ZS1SBW like this.
  5. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What an interesting video! Thank you.
    Jerry KG8ZQ

M1WML and ZS1SBW like this.
  6. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting thoughts on the feedline. I have certainly found myself in the past that ditching a run of cheapo RG58 and replacing it with a better-shielded cable cut noise, and using a toroidal choke at the rig end of the feeder cut noise some more. The war against QRM is a large number of small-scale battles - not that anyone could call that pipeline of a feeder small-scale!

2E0TWD, ZS1SBW and M1WML like this.
  7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

amateur radio antennas large and small (all over the world)
    look up up on facebook.. ;)

8. WA2OOO

WA2OOO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100% with the larger feedline having virtually almost no loss, and is a MUCH quieter feedline. I have used everything from LMR 400, LMR600 to LDF-50A to this Andrews 7/8" shown in the picture. The moral of the story is buy the best coax to you if weak signals are important to you. 99% of amateur radio operators do not want to spend money on something like this, they rather buy a big amp! But if your into less noise, this is the ONLY way to go.[​IMG]

RU6YY, K0UO, 2E0TWD and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA5ETX

KA5ETX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fascinating to say the least. The offset routing of the feedline to the operating station separate and isolated grounding to the tower is worth the entire video. Outstanding idea. can't wait to put up my tower and try that with some LDF-50.

ZS1SBW likes this.
  10. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While this may well improve station operation in various ways, surge currents from near (induction) or direct (tower) lightning events will couple just fine to the parallel tower/feedline combo (robust inductive coupling and yes capacitance as well) and flow this directly into the home creating mayhem through the equipment ground. This often doesn't end well.

ZS1SBW has much to be proud of in his radio journey. There are different reasons we ground things and sometimes the approaches create conflict. This may be an example. He did something because of a perceived operational benefit, but doing so compromised his lightning protection. Maybe he lives where lightning is extremely rare. If so the reward may outweigh the risk(s).
    Allowing any conductor into the premises without an external path to ground for high energy events probably negates property insurance claims... in the US at least. I believe the most recent versions of NEC have much to say about this topic. Implement at your peril and financial risk.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. KJ7RDV

KJ7RDV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking that this might be the kind of coax Shawn mentioned in the interview. Per the data sheet, the screening effectiveness is said to be <= 120dB. Working to eliminate sources of noise is another interesting problem domain in our hobby.