ad: k1jek

Chameleon EmComm II Review and Giveaway!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN6NWZ, Mar 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I get so excited when I see Made in America ham radio products. I’ve seen some comments in QRZ about looking for the same. Here’s a review of a great light weight antenna that’s American made by Rolltech Manufacturing Chameleon Antennas. Josh KI6NAZ did a tour of the factory and it was pretty impressive! You can see that here:

Check out this review and there’s a giveaway that ends April 8, 2021 5pm PST. Link in the video below’s description.

Attached Files:

KO4ESA, VA3EOJ, AA5BK and 6 others like this.
  2. W7FCL

W7FCL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a fantastic antenna. Used it at home up to 500w on all bands and now it shines as my portable QRP go to. So great, and they really stand behind their quality made products.

KO4ESA, W1SRR and KN6NWZ like this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Really interesting tour, where the magic happens. Josh was super excited that they make the Winders, lol.

KO4ESA and KN6NWZ like this.
  4. KY4FN

KY4FN Guest

I use one as my HF base antenna. Pleasantly surprised that I can tune up 160 on down with it with my internal ATU despite the note in the manual about potentially needing an external tuner. It even comes up on 70cm per the RigExpert Stick Pro.

KO4ESA and KN6NWZ like this.
  5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

More accurately, machined and assembled in the U.S.A from globally sourced products.

KO4ESA, K7LZR, N6SPP and 2 others like this.
  6. KN6NWZ

QRP is for heroes!

KO4ESA, N7KO, KA8UGB and 1 other person like this.
  7. KN6NWZ

I am surprised at the amount of attention winders get!

2E0TWD likes this.
  8. KN6NWZ

That’s pretty robust for such a portable antenna!

9. KN6NWZ

That’s accurate. But I think we’re hard pressed to find anything made in the USA that does not use globally sourced materials.

K4EIA and 2E0TWD like this.
  10. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Josh pretty nice just bit hard to get here in ZL but I do like keep it up,
    Pieter

11. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed the review, just bought the antenna to give me something else to play with in my yard . . . XYL says, "No Towers" and she means it! Personally, I'm VERY happy to buy from USA manufactured ham suppliers.

KN6NWZ likes this.
  12. N3ZP

N3ZP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a former manufacturing guy, it's nice to see products being produced in an American factory. To see the CNC machine tools and other capital equipment they have invested in, it's plain to see they are committed to this product line and building quality products.

KN6NWZ likes this.
  13. KN6NWZ

We are also a no tower house! There's no space on our property but also, it's hard to disguise an antenna tower.

14. KN6NWZ

Really a fantastic team over there! I agree!

15. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After a storm eliminated a pine tree at the back of my lot which served as the far support for my 80m OCF dipole, I deployed the EmComm II. The 5:1 unum is mounted on my chimney, and the 60ft wire goes up to near the top of my 50ft mast next to the back of the house. From there, it slopes toward the back of the lot--which being more than 100ft away leaves the end of the wire about 15ft above ground. I still intend to tweak this installation. Nothing is currently connected to the ground lug on the unum, but the coax is grounded where it enters the house.

Even so, the EmComm has outperformed the 80m OCF dipole on all bands (80-20m) with less than half the amount of wire in the air. I am seriously considering making this my HF base antenna and purchasing a second one for portable use.

KN6NWZ likes this.