ad: UR5CDX-1

How long can we POTA before the Bioenno dies?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Mar 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today Becca (KD9POK) and I activated park K-1477 in an attempt into use our Bioenno til it died... unfortunately I dramatically underestimated the life span of the battery! It was still a successful POTA though with lots of fun involved!

N4LDB, KC3RAA, N9AK and 17 others like this.
  2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video, Ladies. Well done.

Xiegu G90 current draw specs from Xiegu G90 HF transceiver 20W SSB/CW/AM/FM 0.5-30MHz SDR Radio w/ Antenna tuner– Radioddity

Receive current draw: 500mA
    Transmit current draw: 8A max

15 Ah battery. 15 amp-hours x 60 minutes per hour = 900 amp-minutes.

If we assume even a 50% duty cycle of a POTA pileup going non-stop (this would be great but very unusual), that would consume 8A for 30 minutes and 500 mA for minutes. That's a 4.25 amp-hours, which the battery should be able to handle for about 3.5 hours.

And that's a very high transmit rate. Something like FT8 50% duty cycle.

Question- did the DX Commander get affected by having it right next to the park sign? Probably not much, I had my MA4080V lashed to a bradford pear tree (wrapped in electrical tape) and it seemed to work "OK" (as in, I did not have anything to reference it to, and I was able to talk to people, so I did not know any different...but the water in the tree might have attenuated the signal).

W1YW likes this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video Ladies, I love to see your enthusiasm.

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Bioenno has 2 great pdf files that are buried in the FAQ section with a question: "I'm a ham operator what battery do I choose?" They have charts on 80/20 use and 50/50 "field day" use. Great to have those files saved to my documents. But I'm sure the math lesson was appreciated to.

AK5B likes this.
  5. KA1LWR

KA1LWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this so much...They pick up our spirits and have lots of fun....Keep it going..

AJ6KZ, 2E0TWD, N2AMM and 2 others like this.
  6. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does nobody say "hello" anymore? I can tell you "what is up" with me but it would take ages and I suspect you're not really interested in my troubles. Are you?

Just try a "Hello, I hope you're all doing well, thank you for your interest in my video" or similar at the start of your video next time.

Just a sugestion.

7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

She does... she starts with "Hey guys, what is up?" Maybe you need to pay attention better? Or here's an idea create some content of your own so the world can critique every word you bather.

K8VHL, K5HS, K4VOZ and 14 others like this.
  8. K4PCD

K4PCD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the DX Commander Antenna? I am not familiar with it. I want to start portable operations and looking for some antenna options that are easy to set up.
    Paul

9. WD4ELG

10. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great learning lessons. I have the 30 aH Bioenno battery...and usually operate at 100 W voice SSB and CW. Even at full power I get tired before the battery gets depleted! Full power CW consumes more battery life but even then I could get 2-3 hours easily with still more juice left. I went with the philosophy of not wanting to need to bring solar for a one day kind of operation...so this has worked well for me.

N9AK, KI5AAI, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  11. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So some young adults who are really enthusiastic about ham radio, go outside on a trip, activate park for POTA, test a battery, and take the time to share it with other people, and you find fault with their greeting? Who knows, maybe they are looking for a screen writer and they can hire you :)

I thought the video was great.

M5AEI, KN6KDT, K0WLO and 11 others like this.
  12. WD4ELG

Sam, how much does the 30AH battery weigh? What rig are you carrying with the battery?

13. WB4ZKW

WB4ZKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just watched your video right before I got on QRZ and saw this. Neat KO4LWS!

14. KG5QNO

KG5QNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice battery review - I went ahead and ordered one for camping. Thanks!

15. K4PCD

K4PCD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WD4ELG likes this.