ad: wmr-1

Spiderbeam HD 40ft mast! I love it!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Mar 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been looking for a versatile mast that is both durable and could be used in multiple configurations. I finally decided on the Spiderbeam mast and man do I love this thing. So far I have used it for my EFHW in an inverted V as well as an inverted L. I'd like to test it out and see how well it will support a small Yagi. I made a short video about it when I had it out on my last parks on the air trip if you would like to check it out.

Travel size is 3ft 10in and there are 12 3.3ft sections. Highly highly recommend it.

WM1N, N4LDB, CE1KV and 14 others like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. NQ6M

NQ6M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the HD version set up in my back yard, holding up my zs6bkw dipole in a temporary installation until I can get something more permanent.....
    Only now it's been out there for one full year lol, with no clamps, strapped to a piece of angle iron driven in the ground. Thru all kinds of weather, it has
    been perfect! Highly recommended.

K9UR, W7XLR, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  4. K5QBF

That’s good to know! I had someone comment one the video saying there’s had been through 70mph winds! Crazy!

M1WML likes this.
  5. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love mine. I mostly use it to hoist EFHWs in my back yard, but I also printed a bracket to put my Arrow Yagi on top of it, minus the very top section. The top section would support it but it was a little scary. It would probable be fine if you guyed the mast, but I just stick mine into a heavy umbrella base and make sure it is dead vertical. I use RG-8X and velcro it to the pole at 2m intervals.

M1WML, AK5B and K5QBF like this.
  6. DU3LA

DU3LA Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/
    Lots of information for spider beam vertical antennas at the DJ0IP web page, we made a 30 FT mast out of a Galvanized pipe and added the 12-meter mast on top of the pipe for the CQWW CW top band contest. The vertical was top-loaded and worked like a champ on the beach by the pacific ocean. 4D2X was the call.
    Pics if needed my email is on my QRZ profile DU3LA.

K9UR, M1WML, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  7. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the MFJ 31 foot telescopic pole version. it is mounted over a 1 inch stack with foam pack to cut down movement at the base to reduce wear and there is no not one guyed wire it bends in the high wind as its designed to do and stand straight again.
    .I placed a dab of epoxy and a 3 inch long peice of tape wrapped around each section .As for to prevent collasping at each pulled out position of the pole.....Then with 2 inch wide electrical tape.And useing my modified Ultramax to a lenght of 43 foot wire antenna with its 9:1 balun i started at the end of it at the top and wound it around the pole.Taped over the wire to its final position and starting top end .as i tighten the wire around it .Useing a roll of 2 inch started at the top and as going down the pole i taped it in one continued wrap top to bottom and wrap 3 more times and the bottum then i adjusted the 9:1 balun with all left over not much ,just under a foot and did the same wrap then tie strapped the box for balun near the bottum .Approx. ..4 foot from poles bottum to antenna wire and box, I connected one of my favorite coaxs which is LMR-240 ran it to the house to my station via a ground and tuner..each band tunes 1:1 vswr. from 6-80 m....its been there on the north west of the house for 13 years never a issue and its a fail safework horse to bring in some stations better.....out of 27 antennas around the farm here its hands down thumbs up for a winner. When propergation is crap this antenna never fails me....then next to that winner is the OCF 2-160m and then beam........I have another one used at most all events and portable set ups and it works great also for portable at most all situations......and in Maine we have bruttle weather and winds and ice and snow, rain. Each year i check out the box and connections each year there clean and dry not any never signs of corrision........And no stress on the pole either. so its a winner.............W1LWT-Lee / K1AOM-2 (APRS) google get close enough to see the antenna on the ground next to the house......

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    W1KEY, M1WML, K5GHM and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

its 40' tall. Aint no HOA gonna approve it, but rather have it up and have them tell to take it down than not even try. Go for it and let us know what happens...

M1WML likes this.
  9. K5QBF

It would be really easy to lift it up when you want to use it and lower it when you aren't.

W5DXY, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 2 others like this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

If ground mounting its best to sleeve them. Mine was slipped into a 2-1/2 ss id pipe If I recall. It was a dairy or foodservice pipe set in gravel. Great portable but UV does tear them up over time. It will freak you out first time you get any serious wind. That probably will scare the neighbors more than anything. Only ran mine a year or so and went with a alum 43' vertical. For HOA or portable cannot be beat though.

W5CJA, W1KEY, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  11. K5GHM

K5GHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just sold mine last week to finance a DX Commander purchase. Bought it on an impulse. Originally was going to use it for a ZS6BKW. Deployed it on the Spiderbeam once but ended up hanging it on some trees. Good and handy product. I'll probably get another one later. Really looking forward to getting the Commander though.

WA6FX, how do you have your ZS6BKW mounted on the pole? I just duct taped the center to mine for a test.

I know they're pretty solid and can take quite a bit of stress. I was impressed with the overall quality of the product. But I would like to see some comprehensive controlled tests done to see how much stress the HD 12m can take under a variety of conditions and loads.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    M1WML and AK5B like this.
  12. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 3 of them, non-HD. I've used them to hold up dipoles during field day where no trees are nearby...balun on the center, and you know the rest.

I drive 24 inch long galvanized pipes straight into the ground with a wood block and sledgehammer and the base fits inside.

I've also used one to raise up a Diamond colinear dual bander when setting up cross band repeaters.

For guy wire mounts I used a hole saw and 1/4 inch plywood, drilled center holes for 2 different heights and anchor the rope ends with those bright orange plastic tent stakes. The only mast I typically anchor is the center one which holds the balun.

You may be OK backpacking with one, but they are 14 lbs each. When I do POTA or SOTA I bring my fishing pole and find trees.

M1WML, AK5B and K5QBF like this.
  13. K5QBF

The 40ft HD is only 7lbs. The new mini’s should be in the States in a couple months. They are waiting on shipping from Germany.

They will be in 2 sizes:
    23ft which will weigh 2lbs 4oz
    32ft which will weigh 4lbs 14oz

M1WML, AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  14. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FIRST OF ALL...GREAT POST SHANE!

BUT...

I USED to believe that, cooperating with an HOA...and even becoming THE PRESIDENT of TWO separate HOA's as was the case in my own HOA CONUNDRUMS was a way to get SOMETHING up in the air that "coincides" and agreeable to the so-called "Architectural Review Committees" and the CC&R's. But lemme tell ya.

ALL A HAM NEEDS...APPROVAL OR NOT...is that one HOA NAZI, and they're RARELY FAIL to rear their collective UGLY FAT FACES...to the begin their 6itch-moan-whine-and cry-fest...

...ANNNNNND, you're done!

Here in HOA RIDDELED Florida, if it isn't hidden...REALLY HIDDEN...or a high dollar flagpole antenna, best get you a bass boat and learn to fish!

But, you better have a place TO KEEP THE BASS BOAT, cuz you sure-in-hell ain't keeping on your HOA governed property!

Do we really need to review the moral of this story?

KE4YMX, K3OXL, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  15. K5QBF

I guess technically you could put a flag up on the top of these haha. We are in 100% agreement with the disdain for HOA.

KE4YMX, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.