ad: MLSons-1

Chameleon Antenna: MPAS 2.0 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One part of a multi-part review of the Chameleon Antenna. This one in the vertical configuration.

KN4JND, KP4JM, WA6QGH and 5 others like this.
  2. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A pole, some wire and a 5:1 transformer. For how much? :eek:

Nice video but honestly . . . . why?

AE5X, KB0TTL, NN4RH and 7 others like this.
  3. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He does have a great radio, ICOM-7300!

WA2LXB and K0UO like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped viewing when I heard this:

"This is ... oh, I forget the fancy name for it ... it's the little matching unit ..."

PY2NEA, W5CJA, NN4RH and 5 others like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The best part was that he is not missing with a QRP rig,
    I like his 7300 and he was in QSO with one of my fellow Belize hams too

HB9EAJ likes this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

408EF947-DBDF-4B4D-B3C4-4F8C90C172DB.gif

PY2NEA, UR3QTN, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  7. VE3IPS

VE3IPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

click bait I have one from the early days

KL7KN and AK5B like this.
  8. KJ6TTR

KJ6TTR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t think you understand what “click bait” means. “Chameleon Antenna MPAS 2.0 Review” is not “click bait.”

KC5HWB, KD2TUD and N1XES like this.
  9. KB0TTL

KB0TTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An interesting concept, however, I could probably do just as well with a spool of wire, an assortment of baluns (1:1, 4:1, 9:1, 49:1), a fiberglass crape poll, some rope, and some PVC insulators. I love to DIY for QRP. What can I say?

PY2NEA and WN1MB like this.
  10. M5FRA

M5FRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why pay so much for a simple antenna? Like other day you can make something similar for very little money.

11. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO only...these antennas are designed to hook the inexperienced operators, former military, and prepper types. No offense meant, because I've been hooked in by older Alpha Antenna products, I'm former military, and also a light prepper so please don't think I'm looking down my nose at those groups.

12. KI7AY

KI7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A regular Ham giving a presentation. So what if he forgot to call it a matching unit. I understand that purists would look down on someone making a mistake, but really, guys, he did pretty well.

K4SFC, KC5HWB and KJ6TTR like this.
  13. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not fair to every YouTuber that criticism comes their way...even though it is an art form and all art is subject to criticism. It's just that this site is inundated with low information / high production quality "reviews" that are only designed to sell products and not really INFORM new and existing hams. I'm not sure where the OP falls into this because I haven't watched the video. Unfortunately, the influencers have given the average youtuber ham a bad name because we can't really trust what they say.

14. KJ6TTR

KJ6TTR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe if you are retired, unemployed, have lots of time on your hands, or just want to, then building your own antenna is a better idea than buying an antenna. But, for those of us who do a cost/benefit analysis and conclude that we’d rather pay $150 rather than spending 1 to 2 or 10 hours building our own, then that’s what we should do. I have always said, “Do what only you can do, and pay others to do everything else.”

N1OG and KF5ZPA like this.
  15. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plenty of companies make wire antennas. Buy a Fiberglass mast or two, put up the antenna. Save 100's compared to an MPAS 2.0 and no extra time investment. I'm sorry, but in any cost/benefit analysis I can think of, and in every configuration, the MPAS 2.0 never wins.

But hey, the MPAS 2.0 looks good!

Maybe one day someone will do a direct A/B comparison with an EFHW and fiberglass pole. That's the only review worth watching IMO. I'm not holding my breath though.

KC5HWB and M5FRA like this.