ad: wmr-1

Hamvention 2021 Cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, several setbacks in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic make necessary the difficult decision to cancel Hamvention 2021. Hundreds of volunteers have been working to do everything necessary to bring this Hamvention to the many amateur radio enthusiasts and vendors who support the Dayton Hamvention.

Vaccine distribution both in the United States and around the world is lagging behind what was planned. In addition, the emergence of a more communicable form of the COVID-19 virus increases the potential for further public health problems in the next few months. We make this difficult decision for the safety of our guests and vendors. Those who had their tickets deferred last year will be deferred again.

Stay tuned for information about a QSO party for the Hamvention weekend. We’ll be back next year!!!

Executive Committee, Dayton Hamvention 2021

VA2LRA, JF1IRQ, KE5ENE and 4 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothin else DARA could have done:-(

K5VZD, AA9VZ, AJ6KZ and 4 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Their are lots of international amateurs at Dayton also. So it's probably the only move that they could make it this time. They need a few months to get ready anyway and there's way too many restrictions at this point.
    "We" appreciate what the Dayton radio club does.
    2022 is going to be a big one and most of us/ hopefully will live to see it.
    Thank you

AA9VZ, N8ECH, AJ6KZ and 2 others like this.
  4. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we go again

5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Saw this coming several months ago. Not surprised in the least.

K4XJ, KF5RRF and KC0KEK like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In a few weeks, the shutdown will have seen one year. Maybe it will see restrictions of some sort well into the Summer.

2021: Dayton is off. Sea-Pac is off. Orlando is off.

But WE are still on....

Hams have always been friendly, and espouse a come-as-you are attitude. Like everything else in the past (almost) year, that has been tested and frayed. But we journey on.

I have recently stepped down as a VM because of the deteriorating conditions of behavior. The last week has seen things especially very un-ham like, on the air, at times. Doubtless it will be a problem in coming days.

If we keep things positive and supportive for everyone, we are doing the very best of what amateur radio has to offer. Caves (from COVID) are not always prisons: they can also be invitations to make a new friend; tell a fun story; share some knowledge. We extend ourselves beyond the cave every time we transmit.

Wishing all the best--- knowing at some time, fairly soon , we can meet and gab and revel in pure ham society!

Chip W1YW

N8ECH, LA3VEA, WB3EBN and 7 others like this.
  7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

EVEN THOUGH JUST A MONTH OR SO AGO ON QRZ.COM....do you recall what the DARC proclaimed?

Nuff said but...STOP BLASTING THOSE WHO POST THE OBVIOUS, yet get deleted because the DARC has a retired military doctor in their midst!

I've two daughters who are GENUINE physicians and GENUINELY in the know!

ESPECIALLY when it comes to the continuing TRUTH of C-19!

And the REAL kick in the pants? Their SISTER, who flies the C-17 in the United States Air Force, JUST GOT OVER COVID!

The moral of this story boys and girls? Be careful who you take social media pot-shots at and attempt to cut off at the knees!

SO SORRY if it's an uncomfortable truth that the masses continue to make a joke out of!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Funny because by mid-April, most hams will have been vaccinated. Political correctness has gone way too far. Won't be long you will need permission to go to the bathroom.

KA0TIX, KE8USA, NE8SC and 9 others like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The way it's been going? Not a FREAKING chance. If mass vaccination gets organized and underway over the next couple of months? MAYBE. ;)

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

I choose not to be afraid, a slave imprisoned in my home under government control. I had the virus back in February along with my wife and kids. Already vaccinated and no fears living the dream. Hide in fear if you want. I am done with it and free.

WP4I, WA1EIB, W5ARM and 27 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your antibody immunity from prior infection probably has less than a 3 or 4 month lifetime. You can get COVID again in that case. Your are not 'done with it', unfortunately. You certainly have a longer 'immune pass' with your vaccination. Perhaps a year. Much longer with the Oxford vac.

I have a friend who had COVID in March and was re-infected--and in the hospital-- with 'rems and roids' in November. He was very sick both times.

Just passing this along as a friendly welfare for yours and others, health. Always consult your doctor.

BTW, I am not a slave myself; I stay home (or in my office bubble)because that is my decision, for myself and the welfare of the common good. Again,my decision. Your motivation may differ.

No vac here until probably March for 65+...

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    K4WH, WA7AXT, WA5VGO and 4 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard this morning that DARC is contemplating cancelling Friedrichshafen, which was/is scheduled for late June,.... perhaps they will give us an update in coming days.

Not sure what you meant by your post, referencing DARC...perhaps you were confused.

DARC is the German version of ARRL.

Chip W1YW

13. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

No, I am done no fears. My wife and daughter are doctors and I have had both my vaccine shots. I never knew I had it until after the fact. If you choose to hide is your choice.

WA1EIB, KA0TIX, KB0VIY and 3 others like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask your wife and daughter about the immunity longevity of the Moderna and Pfizer vacs.

You will need another shot , probably by the end of the year or early next year, according to my physician. According to my AZ colleague--also a physician-- the Oxford vac may provide T cell immunity benefits for a prolonged period of time, perhaps a minimum of several years.

I am glad you are vaxxed... wishing you the best:)

Chip W1YW

AJ6KZ likes this.
  15. K0LQK

K0LQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone has a choice, to wear a mask and social distance or NOT.
    I choose to be very carefull and wear a mask etc.

K4WH, N3MLB, AJ6KZ and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.