ad: M2Ant-1

SEA-PAC Amateur Radio Convention 2021 now cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Another one down :(

SEA-PAC has long been one of my favorite events - the largest Amateur Radio convention in the Pacific Northwest. Too bad - but it's just the way it rolls these days

Dave
    W7UUU

Sea-Pac information <sea-pac-info@seapac.org>
    January 5, 2021 - 7:40 PM (10 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to SEA-PAC
    [​IMG]

From the SEA-PAC Executive Committee Chairman

The SEA-PAC Executive Committee has been closely monitoring the continuing COVID-19 pandemic situation has determined that the safest course of action for all is to cancel the 2021 in-person event.

This decision was based on the uncertainties of more COVID outbreaks, vaccine availability to all, and the probable social distancing requirements. But most importantly, it is based on our genuine concern for the health and safety of you, the attendees, vendors, and presenters. We firmly believe that providing our Ham Radio community with a safe and quality convention experience is paramount.

To offset this cancellation, the SEA-PAC Committee is exploring alternate online and on-air activities to engage our loyal attendees during 2021. Watch for future SEA-PAC Wave newsletters with the details as they become available.

Finally, we look forward to hosting you again in Seaside, Oregon, on June 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2022. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we invite you to start planning for SEA-PAC 2022.

John Bucsek, KE7WNB

2021 SEA-PAC Chairman

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not completely unexpected, but @#$%&***!!

KF7PCL, K0PJM and N3VQH like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Real shame :-(

4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Thank-you for having your priorities straight!

W7HT likes this.
  5. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

At my age? Doubtful I'll ever go to the left coast. Hamfest and other public events were a nice thing. China Flu has killed MY world.

IW3ILM, KD4AYU, NF6E and 2 others like this.
  6. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

when was this convention suppose to happen?

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Early June.

It may very well STILL happen as one or more on-line events. But its a pity that COVID killed it as a 'real' event this year.

It IS PLANNED for 2022....

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

SEA-PAC for us in the Pacific Northwest is like Dayton for those "back East". It's the biggest event of the ham calendar year, and one I look forward to every year. Seaside, Oregon is about as picturesque as you could ask for, with lots of reasonable cozy hotels and dozens of great restaurants. Every year, we'd go and stay a few nights - arriving as early as Wednesday or Thursday.

Several times I was a guest presenter and had a blast doing it - last year I was all signed up for the 1:00 PM Saturday slot to do an hour show on "Antennas for Limited Space" but alas, CV19 hit and changed all that. And now again this year

Fingers crossed that next year, 2022, will mark all of this crap behind us and we can have our SEA-PAC back again...

Dave
    W7UUU

KF7PCL, WZ7U, K0PJM and 5 others like this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

You think mic and key will get canceled? That was my favorite and the Stanwood one.

10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad that we cannot factor in the psychological effects all this has on the population. I have a call list to check in with several people and give them a chance to talk it out. So much tragedy with families losing everything that no 2k in bucks will solve.
    Life is a risk so myself I say damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. I know that's not everyone's choice but it all seems just crazy to me to stop living and be in fear.

KB7KUH, KF7PCL, W9BEC and 7 others like this.
  11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

STILL can not imagine how DAYTON believes keeping there's on schedule is anything but IRRESPONSIBLE!

And before you blast me boys and girls, I've PERSONALLY LOST FOURTEEN once coworkers...

...and my United States Air Force daughter, a young woman who pilots a C-17...

....is now infected by Covid.

12. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scam huh?

I've PERSONALLY LOST FOURTEEN once coworkers...

...and my United States Air Force daughter, a young woman who pilots a C-17...

....is now infected by Covid.

WA5VGO likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the DARA folks are using the information they have available to them, and acting accordingly.

But the world seems to be playing 'hurry up' into a maelstrom of dysfunction. Tough to keep up and plan.

Remember that a month ago, there was a roll out of vacs schedules that now has been stretched out in an indeterminate way.

Chip W1YW

14. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I pray for your daughter's recovery. I have daughters too. No one should ever have to outlive their own child. If she's a C-17 pilot, I'm sure that she's healthy and strong, so her chances are extremely good.

That being said, I don't think that anyone is arguing that the virus isn't real. Clearly and obviously, it is. But many of us are also certain that the hype and this governmental over reaction of shutting down every business and organization that has any sort of social component to it is pure politically motivated ************

N9EAW, NC3C, NE8SC and 3 others like this.
  15. W7UUU

I've not heard anything official, but I cannot imagine that Mic and Key will go on as usual in March. Stanwood maybe - it's pretty small by comparison, as ham fests go.

We'll just have to wait and see

Dave
    W7UUU