ad: UR5CDX-1

ZS6BKW Antenna Review: 1000 QSOs later...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Dec 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, you don’t need permission.

M1WML likes this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and all but....... what a beautiful home. 73

M1WML likes this.
  3. W5NNX

W5NNX Guest

nice to have decent trees to hang stuff...

AK5B, N4GST and M1WML like this.
  4. K3IK

K3IK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Know nothing about either antenna but a few comments from an old timer. 95 foot span with 60 foot pole at one end and 20 feet at other end equals 175 feet. longer than 80 meter dipole. nothing says antenna cannot be bent if done with common sense. e.g. 20 foot pole not good for 20 feet of antenna, but can still use 6 or 8 feet and have antenna well above curiosity reach. feed in center with coax or open line . as long as radio is happy, there will be radiation. personally have a dipole fed at center with RG11 from cable company castoff. use multiple dipoles from insulated "open wire line" for 160 to 30 meters fed at center with a tuner. well over 100 countries confirmed on 30 meters. run only 100 watts. doing well on other bands as well.
    also suggest old timer trick I learned about 60 years ago. run 1/4 wave radials from your ground pole across back yard. can be run around house.
    My first qso was with a 75 watt novice xmttr on 40 loaded into a 75 meter light bulb.
    my first dipole on 80 meters was full 1/2 wave on roof only 60 X 20 in NYC. antenna zig zagged across roof about foot above roof except for the 6 foot tv antenna pole at center. worked Europe regularly on 80 cw with 75 watt xtal rig. ( had 3 xtals 3501.3512 and 3525). still have the qsl cards to prove it. Xtals also somewhere in junk box.
    Inverted L also works nicely, use the 60 foot pole and string across to the 20 footer. radials recommended. you have enough room to work 160 meters. don't forget the radials. they do not have to be straight. you can also feed multi inverted L from same feed point. just keep wires from touching one another.
    think back to WW2 and all the spies who used HF rigs and antennas camouflaged as clotheslines.
    good luck and may you enjoy ham radio as much as I have all these years.
    Ian K3IK

N8ZL, KM2K and M1WML like this.
  5. W1SPS

W1SPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only been doing this since September 10th 2019.

I started off with a 134' Endfed (still have it), Goes from about 20' up to 60' South to North. (And it works very well).
    Also have a 270' Endfed for 160m, 20' up to about 35' in the middle down to about 10' at the end, south to north. (That works pretty well too).
    Then I got a 6-40m Hexbeam which is fun, the mast I put it on sucks, thinking about a tower eventually.

Then one Saturday a few months ago, i was bored and had read something about a ZS6BKW. I had a bunch of parts laying around and threw together a one.
    It's about 40' up at the center and the two arms slope down to about 27', it's oriented east to west (and that thing slams westward). It's actually my favorite out of all of them.

The radios are neat, but I get a lot of enjoyment playing with the antennas. I can't even imagine the satisfaction of building them when you know as much as some of you folks do.

Rich
    W1SPS

N8ZL, KM2K, KB7KUH and 3 others like this.
  6. K3IK

K3IK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

errata: 75 watt light bulb

WD4ELG and M1WML like this.
  7. KG5LTL

KG5LTL Ham Member QRZ Page

The G0GSF is his new call sign and there is a version that will fit in smaller areas. Video here.

KM2K and M1WML like this.
  8. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ian, the 95 foot span was from the top of the 60 foot point to the top of the 20 foot point, that is why we used the word span! Not horizontal distance.

AK5B and M1WML like this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, in this config they do work great! What's particularly nice is the very good match on several bands making it ideal for use with some of the newer HF radios that do not include an antenna tuner (they make for great field antennas if you can get them up in the air at 40+ feet) including the Icom 718 or IC-705 or the Yaesu FT-891. Also, they are very light weight so you generally don't need a center support (as you do with a fan-dipole). The choke is at ground level (rather than way up in the air) so not much weight pulling down at the feedpoint and easy to keep it all up in the air...

AK5B likes this.
  10. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It must be the "REDWOOD", HI HI. Just a little humor input for these crazy times, but do's sound good. 7 3 and enjoy the hobby. W7GST

11. KF6VVP

KF6VVP Ham Member QRZ Page

yes

12. KF6VVP

KF6VVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Really like the results i'm getting from the "Burger King Whopper " antenna .
    99% of my log is no this wire antenna , at only 35 Feet.

K0UO likes this.
  13. AK9DX

AK9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! Post a review.

N7XCZ likes this.
  14. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I live in Florida, his pipeline is that we have that many hams and being third in population, this is not a surprise. His lobe to Texas is not a lobe but where most of the hams live in Texas. West Texas is pretty sparse. The third lobe is not a lobe but to southern California and lots of hams there. These are not lobes but where the hams are in the southern half. I don't live up north (thank God) but maybe someone could examine up there because I have little knowledge there.

15. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am planning a 5 star review on my lawn chair I load up for 160 meters. Thats almost as good as your G5RV.

WN1MB, K0UO and NU4R like this.