ad: Schulman-1

New QRZ Mobile App: Ham Callsigns by N5IKD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

HamCallsign.jpg
    QRZ is pleased to announce that a new mobile call sign lookup app is now available for both Apple/IOS and Android phones. The app has been produced by Robert Allen, N5IKD, a long time ham and programmer.

Allen worked closely with us to develop the app in record time. The app has no ads, doesn't gather any information about you, and is simple, fast, and accurate. What else could you ask for?

The app is 100% FREE, and no subscription is required even though it uses our high-speed XML subscription call sign server. Instead, for the first time at QRZ, this app is being generously supported by the users themselves by way of Patreon donations. Users who find the app helpful are encouraged to go to Patreon and make a donation to the cause.

Check out Ham Callsigns today in the App Store or in Google Play today!

Below are a couple of screenshots of a lookup for AA7BQ:

HC0.jpg

HC2.jpg

HC1.jpg

Also announcing End of Life (EOL) for existing QRZ apps.

Two current apps by QRZ include an Android offering as well as an Apple/IOS program that were each independently developed. Both of these programs are being retired now in favor of having a single common platform that works across all types of smartphones and tablets. These apps will be removed from the App Store and Google Play, however, if you're still using them you may continue to do so. If you do, use caution not to uninstall the old version because it cannot be re-installed.

For questions and comments, reply to this thread or contact N5IKD by PM here on QRZ

73 -fred

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    KD2UHD, VA3MIU, KE0GXN and 33 others like this.
  2. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This looks great!

N4BM, KD5BVX, N5IKD and 1 other person like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news. A big up upgrade.
    Thank you

KD5BVX, N5IKD, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  4. K6FAK

K6FAK Ham Member QRZ Page

That is awesome news! Shoot us all emails when it's out....We are all good on QRZ!

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks interesting, thanks for all the good work. Just wondering why everybody everywhere wants to get more apps on their device? I use the browser and have quick access to all the great QRZ features, logbook etc.

M1WML likes this.
  6. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred - you look younger without the beard.
    fred.JPG

N4GST, KG4BFR, KI4ZUQ and 4 others like this.
  7. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any link to Android Play Store for the app, I don't seem to be able to find it. Or is it limited to the North American market?

AG5DB and M1WML like this.
  8. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I also had difficulty finding it, until I simply matched the logo/icon with the image shown above.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?attachments/hamcallsign-jpg.736070/

It appears to be called "Ham Callsigns", released by "Staton Systems". QRZ.com is not mentioned in the title, however the synopsis clearly states that the application utilizes the QRZ.com XML database, and requires a 1-time login.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.statonsystems.qrzapi

Let us know if the link does not work for you, outside Norh America.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

NU4R, K2NCC and M1WML like this.
  9. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

how many more of these ham callsign lookups do we need

KM6HBH likes this.
  11. IS0HNW

IS0HNW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The app is only compatible with android 7.1 and up, so I'll keep QRZ Assistant.

PY2NEA likes this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I guess the only real benefit is you don't have to be a liscensed operator to use Ham Callsigns by N5IKD. Thank you for not shutting off QRZ Assistant. It works. It gives the information I want. New isn't always better, I'll keep QRZ Assistant.

W2JDB and NU4R like this.
  13. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like access to the for-sale ads. That was one of the best aspects of the K4FV app!

14. 5B4APB

5B4APB Ham Member QRZ Page

I get an error that is not compatible with my phone. I own a Samsung Note20Ultra

Check it out below

upload_2020-12-15_15-26-13.png

If it ain't compatible with the latest Android devices available then.......

15. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, when I do click on the second link it comes up, but with the text "This app is incompatible with all of your devices.".

My phone is a CAT S61.