ad: Radclub22-1

New Sunspot Several Times Wider Than Earth Rotating Into View

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Nov 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

From spaceweather.com:

"A new sunspot several times wider than Earth is rotating over the sun's eastern limb today. This brings the sunspot count to its highest level in years, and more sunspots appear to be in the offing. Solar Cycle 25 is clearly gaining steam."

Glad to see it!

www.spaceweather.com

WD4IGX, AJ6KZ, G8WEG and 8 others like this.
  2. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Sun is the star at the center of the Solar System. It is a nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma, heated to incandescence by nuclear fusion reactions in its core, radiating the energy mainly as light and infrared radiation. It is by far the most important source of energy for life on Earth. Wikipedia

KG4BFR, KG7IRJ, 9A5O and 6 others like this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hawaii appreciates it very much especially at this time of year :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

KG7IRJ, 9A5O, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  4. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

It is actually the only source of energy for life on earth (aside from a small amount due to nuclear fission in the earth's interior and residual heat from the still cooling earth). Even petroleum is frozen sunshine.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    WD4IGX, AJ6KZ, VK3MLN and 8 others like this.
  5. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

we at the beginning of the cycle and its starting like that? i have a feeling this cycle will be the stuff of legends, i hope!

G0RGU, KG4BFR, KG7IRJ and 7 others like this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-11-23_17-30-2.png

M1WML likes this.
  7. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny that our heat source is actually delivering us less and less W/m2. The very truth is that we are on the verge of a glaciation era. Nuclear Waste Management Engineers know it and their concern is «What to do to ensure our nuclear waste stays safe during the glaciation era and afterwards»

WJ2L, F3WT, KG4BFR and 4 others like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

ACME Industries Inc.
    Vacation Request Form

Name: Jon B

Dept: Quality Assurance
    Vacation Balance: 23
    Days Requested: 23

Reason for Request: SUNSPOTS!!!!

W1LWT, WJ2L, KV3I and 19 others like this.
  9. W4GOV

W4GOV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we will get propagation like we had in the 90’s!!

WJ2L, K1XS, AC8AZ and 4 others like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That wasn't bad but I've been hoping for a repeat of cycle 19 in my lifetime. If 25 don't do it I probably won't.

W4GOV, WK0DX, W1LWT and 13 others like this.
  11. W5RG

W5RG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't we wish it will be like the late 50's...10 meters was GREAT!! Lot of fun on AM..28.510

WJ2L, M1WML, KR3DX and 4 others like this.
  12. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the consolations for being old is the memory of those days. I remember working Japan on 6 meters and near 24 hour openings on 10 meters.

WJ2L, N6SPP, K0PV/SK2023 and 5 others like this.
  13. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am certainly not a young man, but was just late getting into ham radio. (Licensed Oct 2014)
    Therefore, all I have ever experienced, firsthand, is operating on the down-slope of the reportedly worst solar cycle in decades.
    Still it has been loads of fun, and I have had many confirmed contacts with just (as they say) 100 watts and a wire.
    Like one of the gentlemen here earlier, I imagine SC-25, could well be the last one in which I get to participate.
    It would be wonderful to operate in some of the conditions you've mentioned here, and also told to me by fellow hams - both local and over the air.
    So, of course I am excited by the way SC-25 seems to be starting with a bang, and will keep my fingers crossed that we all see a great one in the coming years.

KC8UJP, KG5THG, GM4JPZ and 4 others like this.
  14. KG9IO

KG9IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a repeat of cycle 21?

W4GOV, WK0DX and M1WML like this.
  15. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

After what we've been through, for the past couple of cycles, I'd settle for another cycle 21. Found an old tube type RCA chicken bander in the damp basement, where Dad left it in the late 60's. Fiddled around and got it to play on 10 meter AM. Cut it back to 150 mW out, (it would QRO at 15 watts) and worked an HC1, with a 2 element quad at a whopping 20 feet. Ah the memories!

Okay, that's mine, who's next?

M1WML and KB1GKN like this.