ad: ProAudio-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Now I have justification for letting my license expire next year.

Why pay for something that gets little use.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Because we have money and they don't.

KG7WBW, KG7HVR, AA4MB and 2 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The rest of us never got a break when we got ours in JR High in the 1950, 60 and 70s!! We all had to pay a FEE back then even if you failed (It was an honor) we Worked for it (Studied) and we had to Pay to Play! now you just memorize questions anyway

K0PV/SK2023, K8PG and WN1MB like this.
  4. KE9F

KE9F Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If I recall correctly, FCC disliked the fee because they weren't making enough money to offset the cost of collecting the fees.

I suspect that was more a function of their vanity rules being too loose with respect to people who spend their nights and days churning the system, and they certainly could modify the rules to prevent that in the future.

One easy rule change that would solve that issue would be to drop the vanity system. :D

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If inflation goes high enough, $50 could be less than a cup of coffee. :eek: ;)

7. KE9F

KE9F Ham Member QRZ Page

$50??? Another bureaucratic gaff. Many people who engage in this hobby are either going to be really young people who are curious about the hobby and just want to get a license, or someone who is on a fixed income either by disability or retirement (my situation). If it would have cost me $50, there would have been no way for me to afford the radios (not expensive ones) and pay for the license. I wouldn't have had enough interest in it, as well, to even consider it. Of course, now that I have the license, I have found many uses for it doing volunteer activities. Maybe when FEMA uses us as weather spotters or activates the local RACES group, we should charge them. There's a lot of good that comes from amateur operators and we need all of them that we can get. Don't discourage them for a quick buck.

KE5LYN, K0OLD and N6ATF like this.
  8. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you been to the magic green coffee place lately? I don't go, I brew it on my stove, but yikes... Every 5 cups is an FCC license modification! :eek:

KE9F likes this.
  9. W4BUZ

W4BUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope they use the money for enforcement, doubt it will happen, just wishful thinking.

KD2SHN, K0OLD, WQ4G and 6 others like this.
  10. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I respectfully disagree. If it were not for the Vanity system, my Lady would not have her current call.
    Maybe first change should be free, other changes down the line would cost.

--KD7YVV

W4BJK and N6ATF like this.
  11. KE9F

KE9F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully, it's not approved at all.

N6ATF likes this.
  12. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

F the FCC what the hell are they doing with all the TAX $$$$$$$$$$$$ they are getting from us every year ! I am on a fixed income someone needs to fix Washington D.C. this November !!!

KE4ITL, W7KB, KG7HVR and 2 others like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely! For example, a tall latte and a cheese danish cost me $8 at Starbuck's yesterday!

I told my XYL that's its time I got to know the Pillsbury doughboy--and set the oven to 375F :)

(Cheese filling is made by baking cream cheese with lemon zest, ricotta, and sugar, whipped.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    WQ4G likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No its not. So, why not bill it per year on a yearly basis for $5?

That's not the same as a $50 hit for kiddos to pay up front... ma and pa will see that as a potential no-show.

KE4ITL likes this.
  15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In my state, and many if not most, the wildlife division of the government is supported by the hunting and fishing license fees, which also go toward enforcement of the game laws and improving availability of game. In other words, Fee For Service.

Here also, the drivers license fees and registration and other vehicle fees go to pay for administration of that system and also maintaining bridges and roads to the extent that the gasoline tax doesn’t (which is a lot since the gas tax hasn’t changed here in 25 years). In other words, Fee For Service.

There is No Free Lunch. Government services cost money. If not from general taxes (out of favor currently) then they must come from Fee For Service.

K2WPM, WA5VGO, WQ4G and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.