ad: Schulman-1

SK Glen Zook K9STH

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by WC5P, Aug 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Long time QRZ member Glen Zook K9STH silent key as of August 13.

The following is from his daughters Facebook page.

Glen Earl Zook passed away on August 13, 2020 in his home surrounded by family and friends. Born and raised in La Porte, Indiana, Glen received a scholarship to Georgia Tech where he obtained both an electrical engineering degree and business management degree. He also met his wife of 55 years in Atlanta on a blind date. They married and made their way to the Dallas area with a job offer from Collins Radio right after Glen graduated.

An engineering mind meant a life long passion for learning. A profoundly gifted man, there wasn’t much he couldn’t accomplish. He had an ongoing newspaper column for many years, cross country runner in college, softball coach, catcher when he played softball, talented musician who played trumpet and cornet and loved participating in marching band growing up, photography was a passion, and he also was a talented singer, which came in handy for entertaining his three daughters on family road trips. The core of his engineering brain was his mechanical aptitude. He could fix anything. As a ham radio operator of 60 years, he knew radios backwards and forwards and was an expert in repairing and restoring antique radios.

An extrovert among extroverts, he could happily talk for hours, truly enjoying being around people. He was a storyteller not only of family history, but historical knowledge of the civil war and WW2, two of his favorite interests. So much so, he was also a civil war reenactor, on the Union side of course. His wife loved to collect clocks and he would buy her one after another. Over 100 at last count. He took the time to wind each one that needed it on a regular basis, and every time time changed, he would go through the house and change every single one. He passed on his love of animals to all his children and referred to their pets as granddogs and grandcats.

No man is perfect, and he often ruffled people’s feathers, had big, outspoken opinions, was stubborn as a mule right up to the end. He is not a man easily forgotten and the stories of his life will be passed down among family and told for generations to come.

Glen was preceded in death by his father Glen Zook and mother Irene and his brother David Zook. He is survived by his wife Carolyn, children Rebecca and husband Ed, Kelly and husband Mike, and Wendy and husband Kevin along with 5 grandchildren and his sister Linda and husband Jerry.

-------

I will post Glens newspaper obit when it becomes available.

W5BIB, WS4JM, KA2CZU and 5 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry to hear that Glen passed on. Recall Glen from the CQ magazine days when he wrote the FM column. I guess the biggest tribute to Glen was how he was quick to jump on QRZ to answer a technical question for both new and long time hams alike. We lost a good one in Glen.

N3AB, N8ECH, N1WVQ and 6 others like this.
  3. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s bad news. He’ll be missed.

AK5B and W4LJ like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sorry to read this. Hard to believe he is gone.

73 es RIP de Jim, N2EY

AK5B, WA9SVD and W1BR like this.
  5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh no! I going to miss Glen He always had an answer but was not pushy when giving it. He was one of the first
    people I followed when I joined the Zed. We had several conversations about Northwest Indiana and I can never drive through LaPorte without thinking of them.

AK5B and W4LJ like this.
  6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad news.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

VERY sad news - he will be dearly missed in many circles - not just QRZ

:(

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, AK5B and WA9SVD like this.
  8. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news. RIP brother.

9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

That is awful news. Somehow I never met Glen face-to-face. I had many communications with him going back many years. He was licensed in 9-land a few years before me. I spent a lot of time at places where he worked, and I believe vice-versa. In recent years I sent him several semi-rare old pieces of equipment that needed to be remembered and restored. He was the only person I felt could actually restore them.

Glen was a true hero in amateur radio.

He will be missed by many, including me.

RIP Glen.

I don't feel it would be appropriate to put a "like" on Wc5P's post, but I sure thank him for posting it.

N1WVQ and AK5B like this.
  10. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

God needed a second opinion on some Collins gear.
    This news is heart breaking, Glen will be truly missed.
    Rest in peace, Glen.

N3AB, KE5OFJ, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  11. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVE FOLLOWED HIM FOR YEARS AND YEARS. MY HEART CRIES FOR HIM AND FAMILY.

12. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A good man, a good ham, and with his knowledge and advice a good mentor to many. RIP Sir and prayers for your family

AK5B likes this.
  13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad. He shared an amazing depth of knowledge here on technical topics as well as radio history, and is already greatly missed.

AK5B likes this.
  14. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP and thank you for all that you taught me. Hopefully, I can pay it forward.

AK5B likes this.
  15. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

For anyone who would be interested in knowing a little more about Glen, there is a great 2017 podcast at https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k9sth. For me, listening to the podcast is like talking to Glen on the air or on the phone.

K4EI, W4PG, AK5B and 1 other person like this.