ad: elecraft

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 Deep Dive & My Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Aug 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The CNC aluminum housing is definitely more rugged than the average bent-metal-sheet-and-plastic-front housings of other rigs. The pot and encoder shafts have sealing-rings and other buttons are rubber and sealed as well, as I understand it. So this unit is more splash-proof than a Xiegu, FT817 or an IC-705. And those connectors are standard connectors. These are standard GX-16 (Aircraft) connectors and you'll find them on every mainstream Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood rig as 7 or 8 pin circular microphone connector.

OLDARCHER, AD8BM and KL7KN like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Still its really not waterproof and those connectors are not themselves. I should not have to order from Aircraft Spruce and specialty for connectors though they would be better quality. As far as the CNC aluminum is concerned it doesn't matter how rugged it is if the electronics are not mounted shockproof. One good drop and sure the case will be alright but that doesn't matter if there is a crack in the board or display. It's a gimmick nothing more except if you used it to beat someone.

3. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad I got an Elecraft KX2 second hand. What a rig, even though it is built so delicately. I don't worry about rain,, throw it in your pack. My trusty FT817ND is still great as a backup for SOTA, but the pack weight and convenience of the KX2 is great for 3k+ vertical gain hikes over several miles.

I doubt I need a waterfall for SOTA, so I can wait for a used 705 after the the TWO THOUSAND "me too" videos emerge. There will be a 705 video twice a week for a month on this site.

"Unboxing"
    "First drive up, no hike SOTA"
    "DStar with 705"
    "Look, I need 3 apps to send a photo with my 705"
    "FT8 with 705"
    "(Insert amp name here) with 705"
    "Antenna tuners for the 705"

On and on, on and on, on and on... (great song by Stephen Bishop)

I love seeing all the other QRP rigs out there, but another ham said it well. Its a popular category, and the prices per quality have skyrocketed.

AJ6KZ, DL7ACA, W7SJP and 5 others like this.
  4. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

interesting review. Thank you for the video josh. Im about to film another video on the other qrp radios i have. 817 x5105 and kx3. Kx3 is still the top one to me. The lab 555 tx looks great for ruggedness. aside from that i think if one is looking for a non outdoor but still portable qrp radio, the kx2 or 3 will do nicely.

5. KC2BNW

by outdoor i mean works when getting wet and in humidity. I think the kx line is great for sota and pota. the 817/818 is best for solid bombproof radio minus the weatherproofing. I think the 705c is a fun radio but maybe specifically the size and weight might be an issue in addition to having a touch screen that might not react well when dirty fingers bring moisture sand and mud on it. In time I will collect all the qrp mainstream radios for testing.

6. VE3VXO

VE3VXO Guest

Hahaha yeah. Good luck these days. Maybe reviews have always been infected with payola eh? Think about magazine advertising revenues even before the days of internet. It's just gotten far worse is all.

K9GLS likes this.
  7. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just so there isn’t any ambiguity. No one paid me to do the review. The only payment I might see is in form of any ads that were played (and clicked on). And to be frank. There isn’t much money in any of this.

For those also curious, The TX-500 I received was only on loan. I was not given it to keep. If you believe I was not objective in the two videos I have posted to QRZ, please point it out. I’m very open to improving my methods when I can to produce valuable content.

Although the comments on QRZ can be salty. I generally try and gleam the point from them and where I can, improve my methods. I hope this video is an example of that as I sourced the questions from QRZ that were posted to the first TX-500 video.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    OLDARCHER, W2NC, KM4WRQ and 13 others like this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Rig except for it's Form Factor.
    Reminds me of a piece of Medical Equipment :cool:
    But you make your choice and pay your money based on whaterver criteria you use.
    Competition is always welcome as it improves all products.
    G3SEA/KH6

WW2PT, W6AKA and KI6NAZ like this.
  9. KC2BNW

Thanks for the review josh. Its a chance to get a good look at the unit. Thanks for time and effort you put into the production of your videos. What camera and lav microphones are you using? I do sound recording on the side as a hobby. I have some rode wireless lavs and sound devices 302 and 744t recorders moxer combos.

10. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I shoot my video on a SONY a6400. I use the Rode wireless go mic with a Rode lav mic. I love the mic, but the wireless go units have been hit and miss. For instance, the transmitter battery is not longer being displayed correctly on the receiver. It’s a big bummer.

KC2BNW likes this.
  11. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Josh

Thanks for the work you put into filming and editing the review.

Neat rig, but I just went ahead and ordered the armor kit for my KX2. Has everything I need, and have learned not to stand in the rain as an adult.

oh, and thanks for the vid on installing the armor kit...

Don//KL7KN

WW2PT likes this.
  12. W6AKA

W6AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking as a guy who once made a living reviewing tech products, I can tell you there's effectively zero money to be made reviewing ham radio gear. A handful of guys make a few bucks from prolific Youtube channels, but anyone talking up radios in the hope of grabbing some of that sweet Icom payola is bound to be pretty disappointed.

For my part, while I do have an IC-705 on order and am really looking forward to it, I'm psyched about the flood of QRP options on the market. I've got a Xiegu G90 and love it as an all-around desktop and portable radio. I've also got a couple of kit and homebrew QRP transceivers that were fun to build and work surprisingly well in the field. The IC-705 will be a dependable appliance, but there's more to this hobby than dependable appliances. If I was gonna criticize this TX-500, it would probably be for its crazy nonstandard connectors, not for its failure to be an ICOM.

KM4WRQ, N8PEM, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  13. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

This statement keeps wondering me. What is non-standard about these connectors in your opinion?

I have or have had in my shack: Yaesu FT-221, FT-225, FT-290, FT-950, FTdx-3000, a Kenwood TR-9000 and an Icom IC-9700. ALL of these rigs have the same type of connector for their mic or their power supply (FT-290 cradle and PA), varying in pin count, as this TX-500 does. And not to mention about every CB radio in the world. That looks pretty standard to me.

Please enlighten me...

OLDARCHER, AD8BM and WB4NQF like this.
  14. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes the income from YT is secondary to early access for new products, free demos, notoriety, and enhanced influence. Reviewing stuff is also a great way to get discounts on other gear as well. Not accusing Josh of anything here. I think he does a better job than most in regards to identifying why he is covering a topic. However, I think it is disingenuous to say that theres no pecuniary interest involved for many of the Ham Radio influencers out there.

15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just think about it. What you have at the other end of the plug? Is it standard? Data/DC and keyer. Your going to have to make them up and chase the connectors if not included. Compare this to other radios in the class and tell me whats standard here? How many dc cables that you know of come with that type of connector? That's all we are saying.