ad: Radclub22-1

#76 How I Solder in 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL Awesome.

2. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why I like reading posts like this, it may not be of interest to EVERYONE (and WHY are the OT's viewing a "how to solder" video ANYWAYS?? Don't know how to solder??) but it IS of interest to "newbies" like me (I've been known to burn HOLES in circuit boards!) , AND you (might) learn a new trick or two!!

IMHO, an instructional video like this shouldn't be more than 5-10 minutes, didn't view the WHOLE video, it was too long!! You SHOULD know what kind of equipment you'll need ALREADY, and you DON'T have to spend half the video pushing your previous videos, people can look them up!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    KM9G, KI5HNX and 2E0TWD like this.
  3. KE8NFK

I'd LOVE to find an Elmer!! All I ever get from the OT's around here is "figure it out yourself like I had to!!"

Didn't they have Elmers in "the good old days" when they had to learn umpteen wpm CW???? Or maybe have an online group of Elmers?? (http://www.elmers.org, or something...)

KI5HNX likes this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

IMHO people have the attention span of a gnat. I appreciate longer complete videos. Not everything in life can be jump cut into 5 minutes. smh.

KI5HNX likes this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Joining a local club is the best way and hunting on the local repeater is another. With the plandemic its very difficult though. People are to busy in their lives now it seems so if you find one take good care of them. I have a couple of elmers and I trade helping them out for info. I used to climb towers back in the day and it was a great help to older hams and a great help to me. Be willing to jump in and lend a hand and you will find some great elmers.

6. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did somebody point out already that this soldering is not even close to a right method? Shouldn't be published as a material to teach others. Not the bent leads but the heating and all.

As it shows, a lot of soldering wire is applied to the iron, it slightly contacted to the surface of the component's lead somewhere near to its top, and when that small spot heats up, a big amount of melted tin falls down to the lead and the PCB, but they not necessarily heat up enough, and may cool down too fast afterwards. That's why this soldering technic needs such an excessive amount of tin to be used, but it is still not a stable method, such soldering _will_ result cold joints at times.

The right method is to make a stable, strong enough contact between the iron and the "bare" PCB around the hole _and_ the component's lead together, and after a little while, depending on the quality of the tools, surfaces, etc., when you apply a _small_ amount of soldering wire, it is going to extend on them happily forming that nice concave shape that is already mentioned here and usually pursued for a reason. Also, the result will probably be looking shiny, mostly by using lead free soldering wire, too.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    KI5AAI, VK6APZ/SK2022, WN1MB and 3 others like this.
  7. KE8NFK

As I said before, everyone around here is in the "figure it out yourself like I had to" crowd...I'm beginning to think it's BECAUSE I'm a "newbie" and didn't have to learn umpteen wpm CW, so I'm not a "REAL Ham"...

KM9G likes this.
  8. KB5ZSM

KB5ZSM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you didn't learn code BUT you are learning a lot more about electronics then many of them will ever know. They didn't have all of these new types of componants that we use today. Sure learning code is a challenge but then so is learning all of these new components and how to best work with them. So to all of the old code farts tap-on and enjoy your hobby. All of you new-comers keep the chin up and keep on learning and have fun. 50 years of electronics and I'm still learning and having fun.
    Let's all just try to get along and be civil to each other. We have enough problem in life.

73's and God bless

KM9G, KE8NFK and G4OBB like this.
  9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to add to this excellent description that heating the lead wire and pad with the soldering tip alone severely limits heat transfer from the tip to the wire and pad, so immediately after placing the tip on the pad and wire, touch the tip with soldering wire to add some liquid solder to the contact place. This helps transferring heat to the entire "constellation" and while the place heats up add just enough to end up with a concave surface. Now, this looks as if you apply solder wire twice but in reality, when you get experienced, you do this in one smooth action. It's just that you need to understand the molten solder helps to transfer the heat to the entire place.
    The trick is not to just know how you do things but also why.

W1PEP, KR3DX and HA3FLT like this.
  10. KE8NFK

Thanks!! I was talking to someone the other day (on Children's Band, don't have a working ham radio yet) and he was talking about setting up some kind of online Elmers website...(he's been a ham for 20 years himself, and knows lots of other hams) He's one of the people who talked me into getting licensed, now that the code requirement has been done away with...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  11. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YAWN

It's likely the same old monetized cr@pola.

The same group puts up a YT video on the zed every week it seems, all show up in the news section. Horray, How to solder in 2020. I can't wait for the 2021 update!

Look, there are probably over a hundred "How to solder" videos taking up gigs of space on data centers worldwide, meanwhile there is a global political ideology taxing carbon emissions... :confused:

US7IGN likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful there, friend. Discussion of firearms ist verboten 'round these parts.

Oh wait. You said carbon; not carbine. Never mind.

KI5AAI, K8JHR and KA1YBS like this.
  13. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree....its all about advertising and obtaining viewer count for their youtube monetization, so sad QRZ allows these practices to continue
    this is nothing more or short of advertising, self promotion for $$

US7IGN, K8JHR, KB2HSH and 4 others like this.
  14. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawn...more clickbait from this "expert".

Moving on.....

AA1PR and WN1MB like this.
  15. KD4FOV

KD4FOV Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy may only have basic soldering skills, but his up-speak game is strong. Sounds like a teen aged girl!!