ad: Radclub22-1

Maybe there's hope for cycle 25?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WW5F, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5TJS

KC5TJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything has got to be better than what we've been dished out the past 6 months or year! I hope anyway. That being said; We've got 3 sunspots at once.."at least there is one more area that is promising to become that third spot" according to spaceweather.com I hope just like everyone else that the forecast for a lousy cycle 25 is very wrong and it turns out to be a really good one after all. Then again, What do I know? I'm just a casual user but I still enjoy making those occasional contacts to a new to me country and I still like exchanging qsl cards by snail mail with those who are so inclined to do so.

KD6RMS, AK5B, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

You were certainly correct on SC24, and I wouldn't bet against you in SC25.

We are seeing such a deep null at present that my speculation is that 'phasing' has moved relative to where it might have been postulated and we may indeed see a fairly high Q but high max as a result.

Fun to guess.. lessee what nature brings:)

Stay safe!

Chip W1YW

W4HM likes this.
  3. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

more power to these people, but until i get if from FOX news , I won't believe it .. Might I say, if you guys would turn on your radios, there's actually activity, maybe calling CQ would help stir the pot of propagation. make some friends, forget FT-8

AD8BM, KA2FIR, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I do that; the QRN here is just too darn high right now. Frustrating.

5. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure would like to see better days of propagation once again.

I'm getting more and more discouraged these days working the same call signs over and over again, seeing the same robots calling CQ on FT8 and the same pictures on SSTV. (I haven't bothered with SSB in years...)

Maybe there's a correlation between the rising unsettled conditions in humanity and the rising unsettled conditions on the sun? If that's the case, we're in for a ride this decade!

6. KJ7MX

KJ7MX Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, I hit Fiji Island on 40m two nights ago on 40m CW running 600 watts to an OCF dipole at 40' - that's a 5500 mile run from my qth :)

W1YW and KA4TMT like this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure;
    IMG_8189.JPG
    IMG_8190.JPG

N8ZI likes this.
  8. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering that we're at the bottom of the current cycle, anything will be better than what we have now :)

WD4IGX, VK5GG, NX6ED and 1 other person like this.
  9. W0HXL

W0HXL Ham Member QRZ Page

My first amateur radio solar cycle was Cycle 19 in the 1950's. If SF-25 even meets that it would be sensational. I however believe Dr Zharkova's group is probably more probable. de W0HXL

NL7W and N8ZI like this.
  10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Try another mode/band/sat/eme/ms.

N3LAC likes this.
  11. K7KB

K7KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"I was not part of the scientific consensus for the recent solar cycle 25 forecast. I believe that solar cycle 25 will be weaker than solar cycle 24. Solar cycle 25 may be very weak (SSN <50) much like the Dalton minimum that occurred in the first half of the 1800's."

Perhaps I'm just a optimist, but I hope you are wrong on this one Tom. I don't think I'll probably be around for another cycle after 25, so it would be nice if it went out with a bang :)

NL7W likes this.
  12. K8MP

K8MP Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to consult the Cycle Determination Center.

13. K8MP

K8MP Ham Member QRZ Page

Predictions for Cycle 24 were all over the map. Unfortunately, the down-cycle folks were correct and I expect they will be again.
    But...We could use a nice surprise.
    C'mon Sun!
    We could use a

WD4IGX, 2E0RLR and KD6RMS like this.
  14. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"There method predicts that SC25 will probably be among the strongest solar cycles ever observed, and that it will almost certainly be stronger than present SC24 (116 spots) and most likely stronger than the previous."

*Their method predicts that SC25...

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

We need cycle birth control to get our cycles regular....