ad: chuckmartin

Winter Field Day Deployment 65°North

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20200212_153639_067.jpg

WX7DX, KT5OT, WE8P and 3 others like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

OH8STN wins the hearts and minds of Winter Field Day for this fabulous radio activation at the Arctic.

DL6BCX, NF6E, K3RW and 2 others like this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

COOOOOL!!!!

OH8STN likes this.
  4. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bonnie. As hardcore as it may look to some viewers, it was still just a test run. Next year will step it up. I think I'm ready.

KE0OAP, KA0HCP and US7IGN like this.
  5. KC3OVA

KC3OVA Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent a field season in Greenland on the ice sheet. The Arctic certainly has urs charm!

6. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to try winter field day with my Heathkit DX-4o transmitter and Hallicrafters SX-28A receiver. They will keep me warm! :). Great video Julian.

VE4DLA likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian, I am glad you made mention that its near impossible to maintain operation solo for long in the frigid north. Without others supporting the radio ops and operator your not getting very far.
    That was my experience also. Very little time for radio when you get down to it.
    Prepositioning supplies is a must for any chance of continuous ops. Setting caches in areas you may go to would be invaluable.

8. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very informative again Julian. I love to backpack and operate qrp, and I do some snow camping (w/skis or snowshoes), but looking forward to snow camping and bringing along the radio gear to make some contacts. Just got a pulk together to be able to carry larger loads, but yet to take out on first run.
    Can I ask about how far you went from vehicle/parking, to your camp, and approx how much did your full pulk weigh?
    I'm guessing 65 pounds or so, but looks like a wooden pulk so maybe quite a bit more?

9. K0PV/SK2023

K0PV/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

That should melt your igloo Darrell!

K7LZR likes this.
  10. K9JPT

K9JPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can others come with you? Will you have glögi to keep warm? Will Joulupukki stop by for a visit? Is this near napapiiri? Moro! K9JPT

KL7IS likes this.
  11. K5GHM

K5GHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet again Julian, a very informative and professional presentation. A+

12. VU2EXP

VU2EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really cool!
    Enjoyed video.
    Namaste from India.
    Best 73
    De VU2EXP