ad: elecraft

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt.

The discussion, I imagine, was more between engineers and physicists and management than tech writers. Different perspectives for sure. All valid, of course.

Chip W1YW

2. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree .... I met Howard Mitchel at HRO Milwaukee's Superfest in late September. His presentation and vision for ARRL's future was quite impressive and well thought out. I remember wondering to myself how the ARRL was able to attract someone with his background and qualifications. Also remember thinking that I was glad he was representing amateur radio. Clearly something big happened.

K8XG likes this.
  3. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? I find it hard to believe that we're not dwarfed by the total of Part 90 licensees.

4. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a little too drunk to drive at the Hooters in Newington, CT, luckily they have their own ride share service called Boober...

W1YW likes this.
  5. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm, is that the new Elevated Extended Double Zep?

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Operator not station....please see the OP.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Inverted V :)

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So you've BEEN there:)

I offered to take a league colleague there for lunch. His FACE!

W1TRY likes this.
  9. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know what happened!
    A couple of squad leaders blew up his silo.
    <\s>

The new leader needs to manage by walking around , looking at things.
    You can’t be a change leader if you don’t have a clear understanding of what is going on.

Nuts and bolts! Nuts and bolts!
    Pay attention!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    N0NB likes this.
  10. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I retired from 41 years in telecom, and I concur.

KC0KEK and K1OIK like this.
  11. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He wrote editorials.

12. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Inverted O

13. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hooters? Sure, that's relevant to the topic. Sure... Nice way to tick off every female ham who has to put up with this kind of garbage. In fact, I'd like to hear what Ria N2RJ (terrific Hudson Division ARRL director) thinks about the way this discussion thread has cratered.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's fine Phil.

Yes, Phil, we respect women. Why wouldn't we?

While you are at it, let's get the rest of the board to elaborate on their decision. For example, Barry already turned down being CEO (apparently) because he wanted to retire. One may speculate that it wasn't his preference to be brought back again.

Were there other deserving candidates--even for the interim position? Were they considered by the board? Why was Howard not announced as leaving in a way that made the ARRL AND Howard 'look good'? Is a better worded departure statement forthcoming?

You are confusing parody with sexism and frankly, I feel insulted by that. Actually astounded you didn't feel put out by the Woody Allen reference as well, given your reaction.

Kindly don't lecture your senior colleague on women's rights-- unless you can count Margaret Burbidge as one of you collaborators.

Learn some history.

The issue at hand is opaqueness when transparency is in order. If you don't want to see the topic cratered then add to it in a factual way. Levity is the way we are treating a serious problem created by others.

If you want the direct path to the sarcasm(parody), I pointed out that Hooters was close to the ARRL QTH. I was pointing that out as indicative of dysfunction that may be endemic to the area.

Other people got it.

We sure are seeing a slew of dysfunction in these current events, don't you agree? Perhaps its in the water.

Best,
    Chip

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    K0UO and W1TRY like this.
  15. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of my interactions are with engineers and managers because those are the types of folks I ghostwrite for in the telecom and broadcast industries.