ad: elecraft

PSK-31 FUN Night... Oct 3rd - 6 pm to Midnight!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KK4NSF, Sep 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello ALL!
    A small group of us PSK-31 aficionados have decided to hold a PSK-31 FUN Night, on OCT 3 from 6pm to midnight Eastern Time in the USA.... earlier or later in other time zones. The idea is simple: we want to enjoy a great evening of QSOs, conversations and friendship using our favorite digital mode. If you've not tried PSK-31, then it will be a great time to jump in, since there will be a lot of folks to talk to. If you are an old hand at PSK-31, then I guess it will be a good Home-Coming for you!

So here's the deal: THIS IS NOT A CONTEST or ANY OTHER OFFICIAL EVENT. It's just for FUN

FREQ- 7.070 or thereabouts.... maybe a bit higher, maybe a bit lower.... depending on traffic.
    MODE- PSK-31, BPKS-31, QBPSK-31 or any compatible modes (but I'm guessing most everyone will be on BPSK-31)
    Badges / Sign-In / Moderators-/ Event officials - none, none, none and none- " We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
    Limits on QSO Times- none. yack as long as you want... or be snappy and efficient. Whatever floats your boat!
    Official Start and Stop Time: Heck.... I don't care if you start early, or stay late. Stay all night if you want to. I plan to go to bed around midnight.
    QSL Cards- send 'en if you want to.... don't have to if you don't want to. BUT the first 200 people I log will get a Genuine Paper QSL card from ME! It's going to be a special "event card", printed via Letterpress.... just like in the olden days... back when I still had some hair on my head.
    Logging- it's up to you, log or not log- we don't care. (I will be, but that's just me. )
    Contest Points- there aren't any! This is not a contest, so there won't be any points, awards, gold medals, certificates or anything like that.
    Extra Points for DX- YES! You get 3x points for having a QSO over 100o miles. Just keep in mind that 3x of Zero points is still Zero. But you do get bragging rights.
    Other Rules: other than being a good sport, following proper ham practices, and enjoying the event... there aren't any other event rules.

Even though this is not any sort of official event, there WILL be an Unofficial Bragging Thread here on QRZ where you can relate your successes / failures / stories after the event... or maybe during the event. We'll see how it goes.

So.... there it is! Mark it on your calendar. Oct 3, 6 to midnight- 7.070mhz - BPSK-31... FUN!

(note: I'm also posting this downstairs in the Working Different Modes section, so don't get confused and think you are seeing double, or anything. )

Dave
    KK4NSF

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always been interested in psk31. Yet I only have exactly ONE QSO! This will be a great excuse to play on the mode again!

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"6 to midnight" in what time zone? UTC I'm assuming? or EDT?

Dave
    W7UUU

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

6pm to midnight Eastern Time in the USA..

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Ah. Thanks. Maybe if I get home from work in time, I can at least give it a go for a couple hours after dinner.

3 to 9 Pacific...

Thanks again

Dave
    W7UUU

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KK4NSF

or stay later..... the midnight cut-off is not written in stone. I'm guessing some of our other West Coast friends may be around a little later.

KY1K likes this.
  7. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We'll be vacationing on the Georgia Golden Isles and I'm taking my QRP rig with us. I may try to pop in. I've done FT8 but this will be a new venture for me. Hopefully I can find a place to shoot my end fed up into a tree and not have people wondering why I'm aiming a slingshot into the air.

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2200 Zulu :)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KD4MOJ

Maybe I can get my HF antenna back up in time. Went down during Michael.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

REMEMBER... it is THIS THURSDAY!!! I've gotten a lot of e-mails from fellow hams, so I'm guessing we'll have a great crowd! Don't miss it!

11. KD4MOJ

Yes it is...

upload_2019-9-30_17-28-39.jpeg

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Full Disclosure: I grew up on MoonPies!

KT4U and KK4NSF like this.
  12. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

It's started. I see overly long brag files are still popular.
    (Thanks, I really needed to know you're using a Windows 8 machine with 4GB ram 360GB HDD...)

13. KK4NSF

? who is using Win 8?

14. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked just after 6 (EDT) then again around 9:30, nothing on the waterfall except a VA3, whom I had a contact with, otherwise, empty band.

15. KK4NSF

yep, conditions were far from optimal. Between 6pm Central and ~8 Central, it was busy at times.... and I managed 24 QSOs. Then the band went dead. Between then and 10pm, all I could see were bits and pieces of signals.... then I called it a night.

Oh well. We got "rained out".