ad: Halibut-1

ARRL Contest and DXCC Rules Now Prohibit Automated Contacts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3VM, Aug 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, 92 responses later and I still don't understand what constitutes automatic operation.

Larry KBOR

K0UO likes this.
  2. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, EVEN IF IT WAS 9200 RESPONSES, THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS NOT TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT AUTOMATED M2M IS. :rolleyes: HAVING READ YOUR BIO I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE YOU DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW. UNLESS YOU MEAN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE ARRL DEFINITION? EITHER WAY IT'S NOT A DIFFICULT CONCEPT.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Using "100% automation bots" to run FT8/FT4. They abound - just search YouTube. There's now even a patch out of Europe that allows not only for 100% automatic operation of WSJT-X but even allows for automatic band changes over the course of a day - moving from 20m to 40m in the evening, and the ability to call CQ if there are no new stations calling CQ to work.... all while you're on a cruise ship.

THAT'S what constitutes "automatic operation" I'm pretty sure...

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and KE9OL like this.
  4. N9BC

N9BC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's how I understand it as well.

-Brent N9BC

K0UO and KE9OL like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading about a hundred post I Figured it out!!!!!!

The first thing the new American radio relay League official observers/ monitors (or whatever they're calling the new enforcers) should do, is to find out how many of these automated stations are being controlled 100% by a control licensed operator. And somehow ascertain if they actually monitor and can turn their transmitters off as needed per the FCC rules for control operators.
    Since their computers are running everything and they're outside playing golf!!!!
    I'm not against any mode, digital, analog, CW, Sideband,AM, FM, 31, 65 or whatever

But the operators should darn sure follow the rules established in this country by the Federal Communications Commission and other countries have similar/same requirements for positive control of the amateur station.

Now, I know that the next post will probably be," I can control mine through my cell phone". Yes I KNOW YOU CAN, but are you really monitoring your station, when it's on full automatic control?????

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    KE9OL likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Since the beginning of ham radio, it's always been "the honor system" and still very much is. It's just that such "automation" makes it really really tempting for some hams to stop following the "old system" and rack up as many points to win as possible.

Dave
    W7UUU

KE9OL and K0UO like this.
  7. KE9OL

A MORAL CODE ITSELF IS AN HONOR SYSTEM WHICH IN THIS COUNTRY HAS SEEN SUCH A RAPID DECLINE THAT TERMS LIKE "COMMON SENSE", "RESPONSIBILITY", "HONOR SYSTEM" HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO BROAD RELATIVITY BY THE CURRENT SOCIAL CLIMATE. ALL REPLACED BY A TITANIC SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT AND THE IDEA THAT NEW EQUALS BETTER PERIOD.

ELDERS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED SOME REBELION FROM SUBSEQUENT GENERATIONS BUT WHAT I HAVE SEEN IN MY ADULT LIFE AMOUNTS TO US BEING COMPLETELY AND UNASHAMEDLY THROWN UNDER THE BUS IN FAVOR OF THE COMPUTER/INTERNET WHICH WE WORKED SO HARD TO INVENT...FOR THEM. MY ONLY HOPE IS THAT IT IS LIMITED TO THIS COUNTRY AND THAT THE PENDULUM WILL SWING BACK INSTEAD OF BREAKING OFF ALL TOGETHER.

COUNTING ON ON HONOR SYSTEM FOR ANYTHING, INCLUDING HAM RADIO OPERATING, IS NOW RISKY BUSINESS AT BEST. SAD. :(

K3OXL, N0CN and K0UO like this.
  8. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my first question:
    If I use DX Monitor, click on a dx spot which automatically changes the frequency of my transceiver.
    Is that automated contact?

9. KO9Q

KO9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, I guess you'll never be an old fart.

K0UO likes this.
  10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly hope that's accurate. "Old-farts" are those to refuse to evolve. Whether you're 18 or 80.

I take the approach that one must adapt often, and quickly, or fall behind. Ask anyone still using a Windows XP machine or tube rigs.
    Sure, it "works" for what you want, but you'll miss out on all the new abilities if that's all you're into.

Me, I'm never satisfied with "this is good enough". That's where evolution halts.

I'm not one who thinks that "old-school equals better" somehow. All that does is limit your potential.

At 50+ years old, I appreciate the values of yesteryear, but I think that holding on to the past just erodes evolution.

I have nothing against to love of retro. It has it's place and value. But to avoid evolution is to avoid evolving to something better than you used to be.

I have nothing against those that prefer to work on old gear. There's a lot to learn from the basics. But if you stop there and think that's the end-all-to-be-all, you're just limiting yourself to a science based upon the physics from the time before we had better understanding than we do today.

Holding on to nostalgic values limits you to the huge potential our hobby has to offer.

Sure, it feels good, but are you really advancing our hobby?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. KE9OL

:rolleyes:

12. KE9OL

LAST TIME YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING AWAY BECAUSE WE'RE WHINING.

WHAT A JOKE. EVER HEARD OF COEXISTING? INSTEAD OF HERE I AM I'VE EVOLVED AND NOW EVERYONE WHO HASN'T GETS TO CHANGE THE EXISTING RULES FOR ME, JUST BECAUSE I EXIST NOW.

WHO HERE EVER SAID OLD = BETTER? THE FACT IS NOW SOCIALLY, OR WHATEVER, NEW = BETTER AND IT IS CRAMMED DOWN PEOPLE'S THROAT ALL THE TIME.

ENOUGH WITH THE OLD FART THING, SIMPLE CONCEPT WELL COVERED, ENOUGH SAID.

SIMPLE CONCEPT, ROBO-HAMMING (NEW TECHNOLOGY OF THIS TYPE) NEEDS ITS OWN AWARD STRUCTURE. I, FOR ONE, AM STILL EAGER TO BE CONVINCED OTHERWISE. I CERTAINLY WON'T BE CONVINCED ANYTHING PROPOSED HERE WILL "HALT EVOLUTION".

W1YW likes this.
  13. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with being into the tech side of amateur radio rather than actually communicating with other amateurs. I was like that at one time.

There are many sides to the hobby and I've shifted around over the years trying to experience most if not all of it. I became an amateur in 1989 and the age is 63. I'm personally not and old fart. Being an old fart can be a state of mind as well as a state of body. Being and old fart can also mean lot's of knowledge and experience within the hobby.

The hobby has evolved in the past 100 years and will continue to do so. Sometimes Part 97 doesn't keep up with the changes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    K2NCC likes this.
  14. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No automated contacts during contests... I think that's a pretty good idea! The idea isn't to see what the hardware/software can do, but what the operator can do. At least, that's how I think of it. I also think there's a big difference between what an operator can do, and what he/she ought to do. I've found that distinction isn't recognized in more than a few cases, and I think that should be a dis-qualifier!

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No one needs to defend that FT8 has value. The point is it should not be used as an AUTOMATIC machine-to-machine mode-- in activities that are designed to hone and evince the operating skills of the operator:)

Chip W1YW