ad: UR5CDX-1

Hurricane watch DORIAN and WebSDR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NA5B, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NA5B

NA5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. This is NA5B, Mehmet.
    For those who does not have their HF up and running there is an alternative way to listen to the Hurricane Watch NET for Dorian which is going to hit Florida and east coast states following days this coming week.
    Here is a link for WebSDR server which I have been running for some years, 24/7 basis in Washington DC area.
    Best regards

Hurricane watch net DORIAN 40 meter: http://na5b.com:8901/?tune=7268lsb
    Hurricane watch net DORIAN 20 meter: http://na5b.com:8901/?tune=14325usb
    Main WebSDR server : http://na5b.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2019
    KJ7WT, DL6WJ, WG7FRD and 11 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mehmet!

Dorian makes Maria look like a drizzle:-(

Prayers to our friends in Bahamas, and other places bound to be hit over the next week:-(

Some lessons learned from MARIA in 2017:

1) Listeners are CRUCIAL. DON'T ASSUME other stations are hearing the emergency operations fully at all times; be prepared to copy and acknowledge;
    2) STAY OFF AND AWAY from emergency traffic--if you are not participating. In any emergency you MUST throw 'band plans' out the window and let the emergency stations drive the bus;
    3) IF THERE ARE authorities present, they call the shots on ham use for EC traffic. IF NOT, do what your license tells you to do-- help out!
    4) DON'T BE A HERO. EC comms will be needed LONG AFTER passage of the storm. If you have a decent station then standby while the better stations pass traffic.
    5) BAHAMAS are likely in/about to be horrific shape with major loss of life under a 15-20 ft storm surge and 150 mph winds. Essentially a 10 hour 'tornado' and 'tsunami' simultaneously. Recovery efforts will be crucial as well comms. Standby and see what is needed and who is coordinating.

Chip W1YW

W9RWR, KJ7WT, AC0OB and 5 others like this.
  3. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all...if you search for Hilton Hotel Nassau Webcam you'll see my message in the sand..."SEND BEER" ...."G7DAZ"....my battery charger has died so i now can't use my handheld for any QSO's ....gutted.

NU4R likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang in there friend!

RE: Beer plea... clear as glass...right priority;-)

Here 'tis Darren....

Nassau is in for a heap of pain(?), but let's hope it doesn't bear the brunt like the Abaco Isles in the Bahamas...

What did Warren Zevon say: 'send lawyers guns and money:)'

Right now--looks like eyewall is well north (of Nassau) and not going to get the brunt.

73 and prayers!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    G7DAZ, 2E0KLX, NA5B and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

@DA7GAZ I was watching the video feed, it has great audio. I just saw you walk out there and clean up your call sign LOL.

NA5B likes this.
  6. G7DAZ

Hi all, many thanks for the kind wishes.....the rain melted my original message; just gotta clean it up ;-) (you never know who might be watching lol)

73 de G7DAZ (Darren)

NA5B and NU4R like this.
  7. NA5B

NA5B Ham Member QRZ Page

We were in Satellite Beach at Cape Canaveral Space Center / Patrick AFB in year 2006 thru 2008. Never had any serious weather situation during our stay there. Looks like the predicted path covers Satellite Beach, Cocoa Beach area.
    My best wishes to those who have family members in the area.

NU4R likes this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mahalo ! :cool:

Our thoughts are with the folks in the Bahamas and Florida.

G3SEA/KH6

KA3ZAI, 2E0KLX, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The NCE need to listen more and talk less.

NA5B likes this.
  10. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

11. G7DAZ

12. KJ7GXL

KJ7GXL Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont drink beer its for sissies. I will gladly have a bottle of fine BOURBON waiting........only the best of course!!!!!
    KJ7GXL

N1RBD and G7DAZ like this.
  13. N9EEE

N9EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Mehmet -
    Unfortunately, I have been unable to hear the net from your SDR. Fortunately, there are many Web SDR receivers around the country to choose from, some with the ability to get good reception of the HWN net control station under different propagation. Thank you for running your Web SDR for those of us who like to extend our receive range by using others' Web SDR as a means to hear radio reports from a variety of locations.

73...N9EEE

NA5B likes this.
  14. NA5B

NA5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately you must have tried the sdr system when the conditions were not very good as you mentioned. However the propagation becomes acceptable or good during day hours on both 20 and 40 meter net freqs. 40m can be heard until 23:00 ET.
    I also noticed that 7268 kHz mixes with am broadcast stations evening time since this frequency is shared band.

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

6) No long transmissions. Let up on the key between phrases to hear if emergency traffic needs the freq.

K9UR, G7DAZ and NA5B like this.