ad: ProAudio-1

Threat to Amateur Radio 23cm band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Disagree. There's not ONE feature of so-called "5G" that was not anticipated during the standardization process for 4G LTE. Go back and look at the conference papers, notes, discussions, etc.! The entire "race to 5G" campaign is a fraud - a "Sputnik strategy" on the part of the mobile carriers. It's intended to persuade government officials to give them every shred of available spectrum... AND rip spectrum away from other users for their benefit.

On this we agree. In fact, one of the ham bands which is sure to be threatened soon is 70cm.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

MOST of the people who produced these innovtions are or were hams.

I know this as a fact.

Obviously hams have 'day jobs'.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO this is the dumbest response of false fact I have seen in some time.

Go ask Ted Rappaport.

Go look up his callsign.

He's OTA a heck of a lot more than you, BTW.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams are a small fraction of the general population but a significant number INVEST, innovate, or work in the wireless industry.

Unfortunately, I have long observed that hams can be their own worst enemies. Many examples appear here on the Zed.

Especially when an opportunity for or threat to a hams personal wealth and/or professional reputation is involved. Many are ruthless at using their knowledge gained through ham radio yet think nothing of throwing the Amateur Radio Service, or other hams, under the bus to enhance their own personal gains outside of it.

Sometimes it seems to just come down to pitiful jealousy too ... :(

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    K8XG, WY7BG and W1YW like this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, you are certainly more knowledgeable about this subject than I. But, wouldn't the allies of the DoD (U.S.) have nothing to worry about - as long as they remain allies? Is the 'Russian' system the only alternative for those in Europe? Putting another system up seems redundant and wasteful (IMO). Well, unless you are planning NOT to be a U.S. ally.

Also, having an additional system does not mean a secure system. During a global conflict any and all systems that COULD be used to assist either side would become a target.

Dan KI4AX

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It was unfortunate that the GPS system didn't get a clone for commercial use only:=)

Backups are being implemented because DOD may have to cash its chips in someday....

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL ham bands should be assumed to be threatened as sole or primary allocations in the future.

We seem to agree, at least in part, on that.

So, Brett, what sort of strategy(ies) do you recommend to show 'need of use' on our Part 97 allocations? All strategies are good strategies.

Chip W1YW

8. WY7BG

Sadly, that certainly does seem to be true.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not seen that.

I am colleagues with many of the people you presumably refer to, and most are hams, and all are supportive of Part 97 and its allocations.

In fact, many of them are working on the state of the art to INCREASE CHANNEL CAPACITY --without-- increasing BANDWIDTH (read: new band allocations). For example, there is NO "race to 5G" campaign is a fraud - a "Sputnik strategy" on the part of the mobile carriers. "

Believe me, some of them 'read the mail'. Here.

If you have some bead of insight Brett, as I have requested, on how to 'support the need' for exclusive and or primary ham band allocations, then by all means cough it up. Let's use it.

...or, you will lose it.

Now is the time.

10. WY7BG

Don't feed the troll, everyone.

KG7VTO likes this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, don't take what I say too far. There are hams that would try to capitalize on Amateur Radio, or other hams, unethically. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "many", but for me, more than one is too much. Alas, we are just humans.

OTOH, there are MANY hams who are of the opposite bent. They "get" and adhere to the true collegial spirit of the ham radio adventure and have used that wisdom to advance the art while trying to preserve the source for the future.

Those are White Knights of Amateur Radio. Some may even try to address the issues you raise. ;)

WY7BG likes this.
  12. WY7BG

Hear, hear. And these are the ones who provide the innovation, mentoring, sharing of knowlege, collaboration, and fellowship that make the hobby worthwhile.

73 de WY7BG

W0PV likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you should explore exactly who those people are...or ask W0PV for clarification....

W0PV likes this.
  14. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about all these China Devices on Ebay that do FM analog video on the L band. How are the regulators going to stop their interference? In fact being that it is FM video like some Hams use, they may be blaming it on ham radio?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+.TRS0&_nkw=1.2ghz+video+transmitter&_sacat=0

Channel: 8Ch, AV synchronization (CH4: 1080Hz, CH5: 1120Hz, CH6: 1160Hz, CH7: 1200Hz, CH8: 1240Hz, CH9: 1280Hz, CH(H): 1320Hz, CH(C): 1360Hz)
    Frequency:
    0.910G 0.980G 1.010G 1.040G 1.080G 1.120G 1.160G 1.200G 1.240G 1.280G 1.320G 1.360G

Output Power: 1500mW

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no trolls here, and people can think for themselves, thank you.

I don't know anyone who is "exploiting" ham radio. If anyone knows that as a fact, in the context of the threat to loss of Part 97 allocations, please bring it publicly to light here, with fact-based evidence.

We will lose almost all our allocations at L-band or higher unless we show that we use them. Spectrum is being seen as too valuable to lay idle.

Now is the time to execute strategies for us to SHOW our use of spectrum, and find new ways to use it.

Brett, if you have suggestions then now is the time to bring them forward.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019