ad: Radclub22-1

Contests - and no keyers

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KB7AK, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully some folks will step into the obvious void left by CQ magazine's inability to get a print version of their magazine out on time.

K5VZD likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree wholeheartedly but good luck with implimentation. In the meantime...

...consider participating in SKCC's Weekend Sprintathons, Two-Hour Straight Key Sprints, and other events. Straight keys, cooties, and bugs ONLY. GREAT bunch of folks and a GREAT deal of fun.

https://www.skccgroup.com/

https://www.skccgroup.com/operating_activities/weekend_sprintathon/

https://www.skccgroup.com/operating_activities/weekday_sprint/

K5VZD, WG7X and KQ4MM like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would technology be limited in a contest, any contest? Unless the contest rules specifically say otherwise it's permitted. Statements calling the use of computers for logging, sending CW, etc. as cheating are complete nonsense. Are stations with huge antenna farms cheating, don't think so. The idea of a contest is to be competitive and you do that in any way you can consistent with the contest rules and the FCC regs.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K5VZD

I still get it,, I look at the pictures,,,,hi hi

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe, maybe not. I gave up on them a couple of years ago when they first started with the delivery problems. Hard to believe, but they have still sent me renewal offers from time to time. If they survive, it will be a miracle, which is too bad in any event.

CQ magazine did/ does sponsor some interesting operating events and awards like their contests, worked all zones, the county hunting stuff and others. Those things will live on after the magazines demise because of the community support they receive. I really would like the magazine to carry on. They had some very good stuff in there and I was a subscriber for many years.

However, I want a magazine to be on time and in my mailbox. If a "digital edition" is all they offer I'm not interested. Same thing goes for QST.

My opinion might change... Maybe.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

WA7PRC and K3XR like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My logger/keyer (WriteLog, link) has been around a L-O-N-G time. I like that it can produce s sequential serial number for the exchange OR send a 'dupe' message. It interfaces with my K1EL WinKeyer USB (link).
    On its own, WK is an excellent memory keyer. Used with the USB interface w/ a logger/keyer application, it's even better...

• Windoze tries to interfere w/ PC ports, corrupting Morse. Instead, my logger 'dumps' ASCII to WK where the Morse is generated. Problem solved.
    • With PC & keyer NOT communicating, speeds can divurge. With WK, this never happens.
    • WK has optoisolated Morse & T/R ('PTT') outputs. No ground loops, and no need for semi-automatic (VOX) or MOX rig control. There are TWO pairs of outputs, allowing SO2R (Single Operator 2 Radio) operation.
    WK has MANY other features. :)

9. K5VZD

The last 2 months issues arrived about the second week of the month they were due... I was so surprised I actually checked the "year" on the cover!!!