ad: M2Ant-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

We no longer have the requirement to log, acurately, or not. So, who really cares if a call sign is correct, or not? Mumble anything, then make up a cutesy phonetic explaination. It's all good. The only, and only, reason to accurately copy and record a arbitrary callsign is if you need to verify the contact when applying (and paying) for an award.

Just joking......take it easy,......just jokin.

WA7PRC, K1ZBT and K3XR like this.
  2. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just use CW it makes the problem go away.

W8LV, KF4HAY, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  3. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sending "Words 2X Words 2X" and and then then sending sending words words like like this this... I havd fond quite useful on CW. Sure, it takes twice as long, but the message? Well, that gets through the Mike, the Nancy, and the Bravo!

And "Words Twice" or "I Spell" and also "I Say Again" have been quite helpful on SSB.

Hey, if it works for SAC, it works for me.

Out

73 DE W8LV

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

YES! I think of the bandwitth of AM, SSB, and CW as being like sunlight being focused by a magnifying glass: The sharper (and narrower) the beam, the "Hotter and Brighter" it is. A slightly large, weak circle of light on the sidewalk? Well bathed in the background of daylight, you can discern it somewhat. But a tight, bright tiny little circle, well that really shows up. Just as RF does though centre of the front end of your buddy's receiver.

Or: As the circuit degrades, be it from QRN, QSB, or even QRM, that "magic hollow tube just gets narrower and narrower. So a "wide" stream of energy just won't fit in it anymore... it's as if someone stuck a funnel in the inlet. "Spray all of AM you want through there, but most will just spill over the sides of the funnel and be wasted. But a narrow stream? Fits right into the very centre of that imaginary funnel with no problem at all. It's Shannon's law. The Fancy Dancy Math is here, below. But I think its a lot easier to conjure up a magnifying glass or a long hose and a funnel in my mind...

Shannon's Law.

C = B * log2(1+ S/N)

C= Capacity of the Circuit
    B= Bandwidth
    S= Signal
    N= Noise

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
    Albert Einstein

73 DE W8LV BILL

K1ZBT likes this.
  5. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

By that same token, while all Politicians do generate inherent Noise as a "Given"... Extreme Left AND Right Wing Politicians are much more prone to generate extreme noise, which is more properly referred to as "Satanic Noise."

Interestingly, this Satanic Noise exists on both the Left Hand AND the Right hand side of any signal as a rule. No one has found a way to mutually cancel Left Wing or Right Wing Reactance, but perhaps with digital techniques this may someday be possible. The Lets Dump Government (LDG) Corporation is rumoured to be working on this in a Secret Laboratory in the Maryland Vicinity. But for now, the best clarifier is the one between one's ears, along with boosting the Parametric Midrange with is indeed helpful. Not suprisingly, the folks that manage do THIS the best are from the near vicinity of the "Show Me" State. A well made unit has been devised by a Pipe Organ Wizard and is in production, and we can all Thank God for that, because it is indeed quite helpful!

Unfortinately, there is a constant shift of what are best called Shifty Signals, that fade in and out of Satanic Noise, where they constantly sum and cancel. And sometimes, an entirely new third signal is generated by these combinations. This always confuses the listener, as it is gibberish: Any attempt to discern intelligible concept or speech is simply like trying to find a pattern in a random event. This is known as the "Luxemburg Effect."

;-)

73 DE W8LV

6. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Kielbasa Five Television Ecuador Domino here... Heard all of these phonetics before. Amazing...

7. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

George Bernard Shaw famously described America and Britain as two nations separated by a common language — on account of frequent misunderstandings.

Mind you, George Bernard Shaw was an Irishman!
    :)

Walt (G3NYY)

W8LV, WJ4U and KB2PNN like this.
  8. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

9. DL5DM

DL5DM Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed my call from DG2DBX to DL5DM, because at weak SSB signals, "X-Ray" always was misunterstood as "whiskey". So many many QSL cards have never reached me since they must have gone to DG2DBW instead.
    The International Phonetic Alphabet might be standard, but it just doesn´t work at all times and that´s why some hams get "creative" every now and then. I don´t see why that should be called "unprofessional" when hams just try to be heard better.

K3CGG, K3SZ, RZ1O and 3 others like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Using the term "professional" in conjunction with ham radio indicates a lack of understanding of the word.
    pro·fes·sion·al
    [prəˈfeSH(ə)n(ə)l]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. relating to or connected with a profession.
      "young professional people" ·
      white-collar · executive · nonmanual
    2. engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
      "a professional boxer"
      synonyms:
      paid · salaried · nonamateur · full-time
    NOUN
    1. a person engaged or qualified in a profession.
      "professionals such as lawyers and surveyors"
      synonyms:
      white-collar worker · professional worker · office worker

11. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

No it doesn't. It simply means I misspoke. It is ok to use the word professionalism as "to act with professionalism" in this case. Jeez everyone knows it's amateur radio for pete's sake. Please don't bother to reply as I'm done with this pettiness.

W9FL likes this.
  12. NR1CH

NR1CH Ham Member QRZ Page

The one I've always heard is Zulu verses Zed. It seems a lot of operators do not know Zulu, at least in my experience. I guess I don't mind it when operators use words that are different than the official NATO alphabet, but it is annoying when they don't even know the NATO words. That's pretty basic. Rich N1ZSC

13. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Zulu versus Zed is the same as Bravo versus Bee.

Zed is the name of the letter in virtually all English-speaking countries throughout the world, except one very big country in North America, where some non-hams call it Zee.

AI7PM likes this.
  14. K3CGG

K3CGG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was contacting French stations during the REF contest 3 weekends ago. I slipped up on a call that began with "Foxtrot" thinking it was "Papa". I only noticed, thankfully, a few minutes later that I had copied the wrong callsign and changed it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    KQ6XA likes this.
  15. K2JPV

K2JPV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe You said it all ! outstanding, and THANK YOU . 73 De K2JPV