ad: Alphaant-1

HR2.0 DXMini Pi-Star Hotspot for Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The DXMini hotspot - both a simplex model and a full duplex model, that allows 2-timeslots to operate on DMR - review and setup.

This is another great, very well-made and constructed, hotspot for multi-mode digital voice on the various networks for Amateur Radio. These hotspots have a very solid, laser-cut metal case, and come with all the pieces needed to get on the air. Check out their website at https://www.dxmini.com

Be sure to subscribe for more Ham Radio video: https://goo.gl/6hjh2J

N8MIJ, KB5CUS, N5VAF and 1 other person like this.
  2. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So is using Skype considered DX too?

WZ4I, KB0RTQ, AE5GT and 2 others like this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not radio. It's internet...

So do you call CQ on the network? What happens if I'm not in range of the Repeater AND I don't have an Internet Connection?

Dan KI4AX

WZ4I and KB0RTQ like this.
  4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR = Kerchunkers galore. The novelty for me quickly wore off.

KB0RTQ and W8LGZ like this.
  5. KM4OOD

KM4OOD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just Do it yourself.
    1. Raspberry Pi 3
    2. MMDVM DUal HS Hat
    3. Nextion Screen
    4. OS Pi-Star

At the end of the day, you will learn more about building it and save money in the long run.

W1MDM, 4F8RS, K0PIR and 1 other person like this.
  6. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Internet Phone Patch ? Why not just use your cell phone ? long distance is cheap. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

WZ4I and KB0RTQ like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you consider it DX, it's DX. Just don't try to get DXCC with your "contacts."

As far as digital voice/hotspots, if you are having fun using them, you are golden. THAT'S what ham radio is all about. ;)

KC2SNJ, NC0L, 4F8RS and 2 others like this.
  8. W4NNF

I almost bought a DMR HT at the Huntsville hamfest. The prices were pretty mind-blowingly good. However, I asked myself: "Would DMR do anything for YOU D-Star doesn't? And would you ever use the DMR radio?" The answers? "Nothing" and "Probably not." I saved 80 bucks and paid my bar-tab at the Embassy Suites with it. LOL

VK2GD, WZ4I, KB0RTQ and 2 others like this.
  9. WA7F

I can’t justify a digital radio when the industry has multiple incompatible protocols. If they settle on one protocol or go open source and make all procotols available on all digital radios then it might make sense. Until then, I won’t invest in it.

W4FBI, KO6KL, K2VHW and 1 other person like this.
  10. W5ETM

W5ETM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I propose that ARRL or some other ham organization bring all of the interested parties together and develop a standard protocol that all use. If the model railroaders can do it with DCC (Digital Command Control) thann hams with a much larger techno base should be able to do it.

Other wise I agree with K7AAR.

KO6KL likes this.
  11. WA7F

Good point. Most industries develop standards. IEEE, ASTM even the intertainment industry.

12. K6JM

K6JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting Multi-Mode device using G4KLX multi-mode programs. I agree with KM4OOD -- build it yourself and you'll have a lot of fun and spend less. While I'm a long-time D-Star user and also sometimes enjoy my DMR and Fusion HTs, I look forward to an Open Source DV vocoder. Maybe CODEC2 can become that for UHF/VHF? Almost all my QSOs use RF at some point, but I think the point of Ham Radio is to use technology to communicate. So I am ok with using the internet to transport the DV payload from A to B. But I do not plan to give up RF anytime soon.

13. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"AM. FM. SSB. We should just get one standard!" < -- same equivalent for those of you whining about "standard mode" for digital voice.

Ham is about experimenting and having fun while doing it. If you don't like a mode, don't use it...but don't take someone else's method away. DMR. NXDN. P25. Fusion. Dstar. All legitimate.

FT8. PSK31. Packet. JT6M. RTTY. The list goes on...

Options!

KK4HPY, KC2SNJ, W5PFG and 1 other person like this.
  14. W4NNF

Unlikely to happen soon. There are really only two major protocols, though--DMR and D-Star. D-Star seems to be gaining. And there is more than enough activity on it to justify buying a D-Star radio from Icom or Kenwood. Check out 1C or 30C at almost any time of the day or night and there is lots of activity. D-Star is not proprietary...it wasn't developed by Icom but by JARL.

K4AGO and KD5BVX like this.
  15. WA7F

Good to know.