ad: ProAudio-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The USA has always had a mobile population. From what I have seen, the main reasons people leave "the Great Northeast" are:

1) Retirees moving someplace warmer and/or cheaper. Florida (aka "God's Waiting Room") for example.

2) Trained working people following the good jobs. Often what happens is that a young person will go to college outside the region and find a job near where they went to school - and that's where they stay. (There are so many great colleges and universities here, producing so many well-educated people, that they are a major export.)

3) Married people following spouses for the above reasons.

Note that Connecticut's population has steadily increased since they began keeping records. Must be a reason people stay. And the main reason the cost of living is high is because real estate costs so much....because so many people want to live there.....

@ND6M....I've been to TN....have you ever been to PA? CT? Anyplace in the Great Northeast?

73 de Jim, N2EY

WA1LBK likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

NH has become polluted by all those from MA, CT, NY etc drawn by steady job availability from Hi Tech to working at an auto dealership prepping trade ins.

Unfortunately many bring problems that destroy the tradition.

CT is primarily a bedroom state for NY which makes it unaffordable for many of the "natives" so they move here and raise our property taxes.

Carl

N1VAU likes this.
  3. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen brother!

They move to NH for a better lifestyle for themselves and their children, but bring along their urbanite attitudes along with the same liberal politics that failed them in their home state.

KF2M, KM1H, W4POT and 1 other person like this.
  4. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Can you provide any data as to who is paid what, at ARRL.
    I have been (lazily) trying to get that information.
    You state with a sense of someone who knows, that the staff is paid less than at for-profits. I don’t really care about that comparison. Someone working for a non-profit should be paid less. I would hope they are working there, at least in part, because they share the mission. But I can’t find out salaries. They won’t even give the amounts paid to outside counsel. (Which, I am guessing, is quite a bit).
    Can you also explain what 100 employees do there, as I cannot find that in anything public.
    I have not gotten that information.
    Facts, please.
    If you have any.

David, K2WPM

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

So those who work at for-profits should get more because they don't, in part, share the mission? o_O

N2EY and WU8Y like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome, David.

No. I don't know what anyone at Hq makes, I don't care who makes what, and besides, quite honestly, it's none of my business. And I wonder why it's any of your's.

I knew - past tense - as in a former life, I was employed at Hq, or Hindquarters as some staffers used to call it.

As for the pay comparison, that was simply to set the stage for a hypothetical situation where an employee would be asked to relocate half way across the North American continent. I believe it's safe to assume that the more money one makes, the greater the likelihood they'd consider relocating. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in the original post.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Who is "they"?

Have you contacted your Division Director?

Do you know any inexpensive lawyers who practice corporate law or communications law?

I could, but I'm not going to.

If you look in QST magazine, you can find quite a bit of information about various Hq departments, magazine related staffing, and other staff hierarchy.

Kent Cliffs looks like it's only a 2 hour or so drive to Newington. Why not do a day trip, take a tour of the Hq building and W1AW? While you're there you can go through your list of questions face to face with those "in the (2018) know"?

After Hq, hit Hartford - 15 minutes away - and tour the Mark Twain House. It's fascinating!

Have you contacted your Division Director?

73, Jeff

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    N6UOW likes this.
  7. WN1MB

Cry me a river. Then build a wall.

8. WN1MB

You do realize that there are many CT, NY, and MA past and current residents who are Libertarian or Conservative, don't you?

N1VAU likes this.
  9. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a reason for that.

WJ4U likes this.
  10. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutly!
    They are severly outnumbered

11. KN4SM

KN4SM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been an amateur since 1958 at age 11 I had no Idea there was any thing going on at Arrl. until I just chanced on this news button on QRZ. Thanks for the heads up

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  12. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you just read some one-sided FUD and just believe it?

W4WTS and AE8W like this.
  13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this "FUD" that you are talking about?

14. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a kid in the forties, I was impressed with amateur radio and its operators. I even had an Elmer for novice! My distant cousin, a Master Mariner also a gifted circuit designer built a ssb transmitter rig using a surplus LM-13/BC-221 as a VFO. He even submitted an article to QST and was published. I watched him operate this transmitter successfully more than once. Then he told me he put a mistake in the schematic. Why? To weed out the ignorant builders! He said that anyone who knew what they were doing would spot the mistake, correct it and move on. I thought at 12 years old my cousin was an arrogant, soul-less crab. His name was William Bendixen, published circa 1950. Look him up. My opinion is ARRL seems to be populated by some unforgiving, arrogant crabs like Billy Bendixen. In spite of the really great work done to date.

15. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW:
    I've been a "Ham" a few days, but not as many as some. And I haven't always been a member of the ARRL - Not because I didn't want to, but because bills came 1st, well loved radio equipment came second (or third depending on the wishes of the XYL), and Club memberships in general came last.

It's true I haven't always agreed with some of the moves the AR Club I belong to does, but I refuse to believe that an organization that's sole purpose for being is to further our hobby would intentionally work against that purpose. I've meet a number of volunteers at different levels of the organization and without exception they have a deep love of Amateur Radio. Yes, some are prideful, but you get that in ANY organization.

It would be nice if Membership was more affordable. Members who can not see can join and receive QST electrically for less than a full Membership. It would be nice if that was everyone's option and maybe more hams would join the Org. It may also help with publication costs.

I don't take issue with the CT address, it has history.
    I see a lot of anti-ARRL Hams. I would bet that if one looked at the History of the Organization, this was just as true in 1914 as it is now. And it might surprise some that without the ARRL, the Commerce Department would have done away with this vocation we now call "Amateur Radio" because the Army wanted it all for themselves. Whether we see it or not, the ARRL actively monitors the activities on the beltway to preserve and add bands for us to use. So from just that standpoint, it's worth joining.

For those that boo-hoo QST... QST over the last year has changed abit.
    Yes there are still adds for insanely expensive radios that for a price say "See Website"...
    But IMHO there is more there to like in the way of tips, projects, and technical discussion than there had been. And they are actively looking for people to contribute content.

Wow, I must sound like an ARRL puppet ;)

I agree with a poster a while back. If you dropped out of the Org, you have absolutely nothing to complain about if the Organization does not represent your views or values. I'm kinda dumb about these things, but even I can tell you that it is almost impossible to move the furniture if you're standing outside the house.

WA1LBK, N6UOW, N2AMM and 5 others like this.